CHAPTER 12 ↠ proving bonnie wrong

Začít od začátku

"Your daughter has become incredibly witty, Aberama," Bonnie affirms.

"I've noticed," Aberama says not nearly as amused as his children were.

"I think I am being influenced by the company of my brother. He's either not speaking or being witty."

Bonnie scoffs and then puts an arm around his sister's shoulder, forcing her to bend down as he held her againts his torso.

"Don't blame me for how reckless and irresponsible you are, Beatrice," he threatens playfully. "You will get yourself kill for what you say one day if you don't start thinking of the consequences."

Bea yelped.

"Aberama, your son is killing me."

"You two are too old to act like this."

"Bonnie is the oldest," Bea states. "Plus he's a blinder. PLUS he's the one trying to kill me right now," she lists as Bonnie doesn't let her go.

"Learn to think before you speak then."

"I will learn, I promise," Bea says with a laugh. "But if you're going to hold me down like this until I do, you might as well just shoot me in the head."

"Enough, you two," Aberama says with more conviction now. "We're in front of the house of the people who just lost someone. The second in just a couple of months."

Bonnie eases the grip on Bea and she straightens up, but he leaves one hand on her shoulder as they stay silent and wait for Michael to come out again.

The conversation inside the house wasn't too long, because there wasn't a long silence until Michael showed up at the door, looking melancholic.

"What is it? What's wrong?" Bea asks first.

Michael looks at Aberama before answering Bea.

"I am to leave for New York," he tells. "The train for Liverpool leaves in an hour and the boat leaves tomorrow morning."

"You're going to New York?" Bea asks confused. "Just like that? Why?"

"The company has business to attend to in America."

"Why do you have to go?"

"Who else but me? John and Arthur are dead, Finn doesn't know how to take care of business, Ada has Karl to think about in London and Mum needs to be at Tommy's side."

"You forgot to mention the part where you betrayed Tommy," Aberama calls out, monotone.

Bea looks at Aberama, surprised and shocked by his words and then looks at Michael, not so confused as doubtful.

"I chose my Mum," Michael states.

"When are you coming back?"

"The question is if I'm coming back," he corrects. "And I don't have that answer either."

"Come now, Mr. Gray," Aberama says with fake politeness. "You must get on the train."