Chapter 22: Hiccup abandons a kid in the woods

Hiccup pretended desperately that his heart wasn't beating a million times a minute as Toothless leaped off the trading ship. Jack had his staff by his side and his free arm was wrapped around Hiccup's waist. In front, Jamie laughed happily as they ascended, looking over the side and down at the ocean as the ship became smaller and smaller beneath them.

He almost couldn't believe that had worked. A part of him had been ready to fly back to Berk, rejected and inconsolable, as Jack and Jamie ventured forward to a place where Hiccup would probably never see them again. At the same time, he knew that option had always been out of the question. Any person who'd ever called him stubborn was completely right; he was stubborn, and he would not leave Jack and Jamie to figure this out alone.

And that wasn't just because of the realization he'd had last night. Jack was first and foremost his friend, and so was Jamie. He'd never forgive himself if he just let them march into what was possibly certain death. And right in the beginning of winter too... What were they thinking?

Hiccup could only guess it all had something to do with winter, judging by Jack's reaction to the first snow. He wondered if this meant he'd get some more answers in the near future. Keep an open mind, Jack had said. Hiccup didn't know what that was supposed to make him feel.

"So," he said as they ascended above the cloud layer, where the air was crisp but snow-free. "Where are you heading?"

There was no immediate answer.

"Um... somewhere else," Jack eventually said. "Wherever the traders were heading is probably a good start."

"A good start... of what?"

"Well, it's not like we know where we're going exactly," Jack said, as if that was obvious. "We just have to move, and find... find what we're looking for, hopefully."

"Hopefully," Hiccup repeated. Jack only hummed in response, and he held back a sigh. "Could I ask what that is, exactly?"

Jack was quiet. Jamie glanced back at him, biting his lip.

"I get a feeling you'll probably find out soon enough," Jack then muttered, and before Hiccup could ask him to elaborate, he changed the subject: "Did you tell anyone before you left? Will people come looking for us?"

"Not really," Hiccup said. "I was sort of in a hurry. I guessed you didn't pack extra clothes since you said you hadn't planned this. A little bit of food too, and some silver. The islands of the Archipelago are mostly abandoned except for the wildlife, but there are a few villages here and there that we can seek shelter in."

Jack whistled. "You've really thought this through."

"One of us has to do it."

"Alright, you don't have to be cheeky." There was a smile in Jack's voice. "Didn't anyone question you running about?"

Hiccup shrugged. "Not more than they questioned you suddenly running off," he replied. Then he hesitated. "I did pass Astrid, and I told her I had to go for a little while. Like I said, people are used to me disappearing, but... usually not by myself, and usually not for too long. They might come looking for us after a few days." There was a pause. "I still don't understand why the gang couldn't come along."

"Are you kidding?" Jack said. "We'd never get anything done."

Hiccup snorted. "They're not the most... sensible people around, but we work well together in a pinch," he said. "And they're loyal, too."

Jack thumped his forehead against Hiccup's back. "It's complicated," he mumbled. "I kind of wish they could come too, but... it would just make things more difficult."