Act 4-7 Battle Phase

Start from the beginning

"That must have made it easy to pick up a few things over the years." I remark, glancing at the half-eaten sandwich in my hand.

"Well, of course." Lilly replies with a giggle. "It's not very difficult to learn, at any rate."

"You can look up r-recipes in the library and the c-convenience store in town has everything you n-need..." Hanako adds, poking at a riceball.

Lilly finishes the few bites of food she has left and closes her lunchbox. "Most of what we need, anyway. They never seem to have fresh eggplant."

Eugh. Eggplant. "I've never checked, personally. Can't stomach the stuff."

"I've never been partial to it myself either, but it's one of Akira's favorite foods." Lilly says, followed by a nod from Hanako.

Eggplant is one of her favorite foods? Just... raw eggplant? Or is there a certain way she likes it prepared? Maybe that could get her to stay here; Hanako or Lilly could teach me how to cook Akira's favorite dish and it would sweep her off her feet.

Hah. Yeah right.

"What else does Akira like?"

Lilly places one finger on her chin in thought. "Well, she's acquired a taste for cod as well, something I don't find palatable in the slightest. We both share a dislike for instant noodles, however."

"You'd think anyone who has been a student for more than a week would depend on instant noodles. What's the story behind that?" I ask.

Hanako seems to avoid the subject entirely, clearly guilty of the same crimes as myself. Lilly, however, gives a weak smile as if trying to avoid remembering that part of her life. "Instant meals, fast food, and bottled drinks got quite tiring after a few months."

Oh. Well, that would explain a couple of things.

"I think I can understand that much. Especially when you'd been living on expensive catering for most of your life."

"Indeed." Lilly says, finishing the last few sips of her cup. "Thankfully, those days are behind us."

Did their personal chef leave at the same time as their parents? Or maybe he moved with them to Scotland? Either way, I doubt he stuck around when Mr. and Mrs. Satou decided to leave the country, which would explain why the two of them had to make do on meals with less preparation required.

We pass the rest of the break in relative silence, managing to finish our lunches before the bell ushers us back to class. However, Lilly calls out to me as I begin to head out the door.

"By the way, Hisao, do you think you would mind helping us study a bit tonight? From what I understand you're one of Mutou's star students." Lilly says, standing up and straightening out her skirt.

I gather up my things and scoot away from the table. "I might need directions, but I don't see why not."

As I say that, Hanako taps me on the shoulder and holds out a small white note between two fingers, which I take.

"Y-You shouldn't have any trouble f-finding it." She remarks, adjusting the strap of her own bookbag.

I open the folded slip of paper to reveal directions to Lilly's room, starting at the door of the female dorm. I've never been inside, but it's probably of the same layout as the male's so I shouldn't have too much trouble finding the room.

Can't say I've ever gotten an invitation to a girl's room, even for something like studying. Then again, I'm not squeamish about it since Lilly is fluent in my worst subject, and I might get the chance to help the two of them out.