CHAPTER 36 - Of a Dungeon (Part I)

Start from the beginning

I blinked my eyes slowly and looked around.

People in the audience were standing up, desperate to get a closer look at me. Royals were gathering up in the ring.

"I knew something wasn't right about this girl." A breathy voice spoke loudly. I peered to my side and saw a fuming High Lady of the Virgo House looking down at me.

She didn't need to see my Mark anymore.

"Why are you defending her Ralph? She nearly killed me." I recognized the ever-so familiar voice and snapped my eyes at Prince Nova. I swore a ghost of a smirk danced on his lips.

"My goodness, lass." I turned to my other side, just to meet King Orlon's gaze. His expressions were generous in exhibiting just what he felt. Bewilderment.

But behind him stood a very stunned Prince. The Prince who had comforted me just a while ago. The Prince whose hurt and shock was evident on his face. If this was the last time that I was seeing him, I wanted to relish whatever I could get.

A few feet away I saw my team standing, their expressions, a mixture of astonishment and pity. Serena ran over to where Doran stood and they exchanged a quick blank look with each other.

"Where's Una? I had warned that girl. Now see, what's happened? These Lueshas have gotten so bold. Right in the middle of the Conquest-" Una's mother shook her head.

"Stop, I said." Ralph shouted from my side, both his arms holding mine, his body shielding me from the guards who were apparently waiting to take hold of me.

He was fine. Alive. And I knew, I'd do it all again if that meant Ralph would be safe.

"Ralph, you knew about her?" Prince Nova asked, in a mocking expression which I failed not to register. I felt Ralph's body stiffen against mine.

A nerve tingled in Ralph's face as I peered up to look at his face. He was trying to protect me. From everyone. Was it because I had saved him from falling? Or was it because he cared?

"Yes, I did know about her. Just hear us out, all of you." A drop of sweat trickled down his forehead.

Us.

"Get away from her, fireling. Don't you see, she is a Luesha?" Una's mother shouted.

"She is my sister. So just back off. I'll handle this."

A collective spell of gasp fell on my ears and I shut my eyes close. He was going down with me.

A raspy feminine voice boomed in the chaos, "And how will you handle it, Ralph?"

Ralph froze. I looked over his shoulder raising myself on my toes. An elderly woman covered in a red shawl; a silken scarlet dress hung tight on her body, her hair in a low bun. If looks could kill, we'd all be dead by now.

"Mother..." Ralph muttered. His hold still not loosening.

Mother. His mother. My father's first wife.

Her stare bore into my eyes, and I knew if I survived this ordeal, I'd still die for she had murder written all over her face.

Behind her, High King Maris walked in. Something told me that he was angrier than others. He had always sided with Lueshas and in the blink of an eye, I had proven him wrong.

Ralph puffed his chest out, trying to sound confident, "Mother, Your Grace, she was just saving me. She means no harm. I am here now because of her."

The desperation and firmness in Ralph's voice was like a soothing salve on all my wounds. He cared. But it proved what he was afraid of, what everyone was thinking -