Chapter Two

Hands gently shook me out of my deep and peaceful slumber. When I opened my eyes, I saw Thorin hovering over me.

"Is it morning already?" I asked groggily.

"Yes, my lady. We're set to leave in ten minutes."

"Fantastic," I mumbled.

I rubbed my eyes and then stood up slowly, taking out my wand once I was steadily on my feet. I flicked it at my face and then my body to clean myself up.

"What is that?" Fili asked.

I realized he was speaking to me.

"Oh, it's my wand. Wizards have staves and witches have wands."

"What's it made out of?" Kili chimed in.

"Unbreakable crystal. Don't ask me what that means."

Kili and Fili chuckled gently.

"Everybody, make sure you are prepared and have everything you need," Thorin said. "Then we will go out to the horses."

"Horses?" I asked.

"Well, yes, Kani," Gandalf replied. "Did you expect we were going to complete our trek on foot?"

I shrugged and smiled.

My horse was a beautiful black mare. She was a little short but, at least to me, she seemed perfectly proportioned. She nickered softly as I stroked her pretty face and her strong neck.

"What's her name?" I asked Gandalf.

"Thera."

"Hello, Thera," I whispered as I petted her velvety nose.

"I wouldn't get too attached to her if I were you," Thorin said as he carried a knapsack towards his pony.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

There was a long pause before Thorin responded.

"Nothing."

Everybody began mounting their rides, but before I did I took one last look at Bilbo's hobbit hole, desperately hoping Bilbo would decide to join us before we got too far along. We descended down into the main meadow of the Shire. It was one of the most beautiful vistas I had ever seen. The grass was a shade of green that was bright and pure and the sky was ever so clear. I closed my eyes and breathed in the air around me, which smelled like a variety of flowers.

When I looked up again, I realized my horse and Thorin's were walking side by side and Thorin was staring at me. I averted my gaze from his sparkling blue eyes quickly, feeling rather self-conscious all of a sudden. And I guess it didn't help the fact that Thorin was quite a lovely man and, although I didn't want to admit it to myself, I felt quite attracted to him.

I quickly mustered up enough strength to give Thorin a polite smile and then I cantered Thera up to Gandalf. His horse greeted Thera and me with a whinny.

"How are you doing, Kani?"

"Fine," I said quickly.

Gandalf gave me an odd look and then glanced behind him briefly.

"Ah...I see."

"He's quite a handsome man," I said, smiling.

Gandalf sort of shook his head and chuckled. It was silent between the members of the company for a bit; the only thing we could hear was the sound of the horse's hooves. But then I heard one of the most pleasant sounds that I could have ever imagined.

"Wait! Slow down! Wait up! I'm here!" Bilbo shouted as he ran towards us, waving his contract around.

We all stopped our horses and Bilbo and I smiled at each other.

"I'll take your contract, laddie," Balin said. Bilbo quickly handed it over. "Everything looks good. Okay, you're all set."

"Get him a pony," Thorin instructed. "Myrtle should suit him."

Despite his complaints, Bilbo was quickly hoisted onto Myrtle and then our journey re-commenced. He quickly trotted his mare over to Gandalf and me.

"Glad you decided to join us," I said.

"Wouldn't have missed it for the world. Even though I'm not sure Thorin's happy."

"Give him some time, Bilbo. I told Kani the same thing. He will come to appreciate both of you. Of that, I am quite sure."

As the sun began to set over the horizon, we decided to camp along the mountain pass we were on. The horses were set free to graze after we had dismounted and un-tacked them and Bombur got straight to cooking supper. As for me, I set up a makeshift bed next to Bilbo's and we chatted until the food was ready.

After dinner, we sat around the fire that Bofur had kindly made and we all just sort of chatted. But then suddenly something caught our attention; screams from the lower lands echoed out around us.

"What was that?" Bilbo whispered.

I knew all too well.

"Orcs," I replied.

"It must be a raid," Fili added.

"They strike villages and towns in the night when everybody's asleep," Kili said. "I find it somewhat humorous that the Orcs are the only ones you can hear screaming."

Fili and Kili chuckled and I was astounded at their behavior. Apparently, I wasn't the only one.

"You think that's funny?" Thorin bellowed. "Innocent people being murdered is amusing to you?"

"No, Uncle," Fili answered.

"We were only joking," Kili murmured.

"You were only joking?!" Thorin nearly shouted. "Unbelievable!"

He shook his head and then stormed off away from us.

"Let him be, Kani," Balin said. "He'll be back."

I hadn't even noticed I was on my feet. Embarrassed, I quickly sat back down.

"Fili, Kili," Balin murmured. "Don't take this personally. Thorin has more reason than others to hate Orcs."

"How so?" Bilbo asked.

"Have you heard of the Battle of Azanulbizar?"

"No," Bilbo answered.

I hadn't either.

"It was the final battle between our people and the Orcs. Thror, Thorin's grandfather, wished to reclaim Moria, a kingdom that was once belonged to us Dwarves. But when he arrived, he found it overtaken by hoards of Orcs. We were outnumbered and not to mention their leader could strike fear in the bravest of creatures. He was a huge beast; a pale Orc called Azog, the Defiler. Azog took King Thror prisoner, tortured him, and beheaded him. Thror's son, Thrain, was driven mad by grief and to this day we don't know what happened to him. Perhaps he was killed. Perhaps he hiding out somewhere. We just don't know.

"While this was going on, our army was leaderless and Dwarves were being slaughtered by the hundreds. Then, I saw the young prince, Thorin, take up his sword and shield and go after the pale Orc. It was a fierce fight and horrifying scene to watch. Thorin soon lost his sword and shield and Azog knocked him down a large hill. Thorin fell hard and Azog wasted no time.

"I thought all was lost, but then Thorin picked up a branch from an oak tree that had fallen next to him. He wielded it as his weapon and his shield and after a quick clash between Azog and him, Thorin managed to cut off Azog's arm. The pale Orc's guards dragged him away and then our forces rallied and we defeated our enemy."

Thorin began to walk back to us, but Balin continued his story.

"As for Azog, he realized then that the line of Durin could not so easily be defeated and as for our people, we found a leader in the grandson of Thror."

My heart hurt for Thorin tremendously and tears streamed down my cheeks.

"Don't cry for me, Kani," Thorin whispered.

But I couldn't help it. I knew his pain because my family had been murdered by Orcs too.