"What about Mina Loveberry?" Star asked. "Shouldn't we send her?"

"Dame Grace was with Queen Moon investigating that empty village, so knew Meteora could be involved. She asked that Mina accompany the scouts but ... Mina didn't come back either."

The group was silent; the last Solarian warrior, augmented with magic and madness, lost at the outset of hostilities. It was exceptionally bad news. Finally, Moon spoke, asking, "Do you have a plan of attack?"

"We do, your majesty. Sir Darryl?"

"Your majesties, if it pleases you," Sir Darryl began, "we will send out a force of Warnicorn Dragoons to attract the creatures and draw them away from Meteora. We will set up an ambuscade here." Sir Darryl indicated a clearing surrounded by trees, next to the distributary of the Mewni River that fed the royal corn fields. The map zoomed in on the location. "There should be plenty of cover to set up the ambush, and she will be pinned against the river."

Moon and River nodded.

Sir Reggie broke in. "This is the difficult part on a personal level, your majesties. We cannot send knights directly against Meteora, lest they be turned. These youngsters are not Mewmin," Sir Reggie said, indicating Marco and Kelly, "nor is Jorby, so they cannot be turned. As a magical being, it is very unlikely that Lady Hekapoo can be turned. Prince Lucitor is only half-Mewmin, with the other half being demon, so we're gambling that he cannot be turned."

"There is still a danger to them," Sir Darryl continued, "as we learned with the non-Mewmin knight, but ... it won't result in them becoming threats to others."

The teens exchanged looks of concern. "Oh, that's not ominous at all," Marco mumbled.

Sir Darryl paused, looking at the queen.

Moon steeled herself, suspecting what was coming. "Please continue."

"Princess Star must also be part of the ambushing force, to counter Meteora's magic."

Sir Daryl paused again, as Moon and River looked at each other. River nodded, Moon taking his hand before asking Sir Darryl to continue.

"Here is the plan ..."

After Sir Darryl finished detailing the plan for the ambush, Moon gave the order to execute. As the group broke up, she called the teens over to herself and River.

"I'm sorry we must ask this of you. King River and I must remain here to cover the defense of the castle and Groundlands, if that becomes necessary. I truly wish we could go in your stead, but it is one of the burdens of leadership to send others into battle for the good of the kingdom," Moon looked into Star's eyes, "even when it means the risk of personal loss." Star was shocked by Moon's change in attitude; Moon had been overprotective of her when Toffee had returned.

Addressing the entire group once more, Moon said, "Fight well, and moreover, be safe. Please."

The teens, emotional from Moon's words, mumbled, "Yes, your majesty."

"Good. If you will excuse us, we must talk to our children in private."

Failing to notice Moon's use of the plural, Marco turned to leave.

"No, Marco, that includes you."

Marco felt a pull on his heartstrings. He had told Star that she was part of his family now, and that her family was now his. It was gratifying to learn that both sets of parents felt the same way.

"They will look to the two of you for leadership. I experienced the burdens of leadership in battle when I was only slightly older than you, so I know how difficult it is, but," the corners of Moon's mouth twitched, "needs must when the devil breaks wind in your face."