16. Tombstone

Madame Pomfrey was overjoyed to see Severus walk into the Hospital Wing on Lucy's arm.  She made a big fuss and made him sit down right away and she took his vitals to make sure he was okay.  After several minutes of examination that he absolutely detested, and a promise from Lucy to keep an eye on him from then on, she finally caved and released him with a semi-clean bill of health.

"You be careful, Severus," she told him.  "I don't want to see you or Lucy in here for a long time unless it's a social call."

"Don't worry," Severus stated.  "I don't plan on ever coming back."

Lucy laughed and so did Madame Pomfrey.  He couldn't helpt but crack a smile as well.  Severus and Lucy walked out of there hand in hand.

"Where to now?" he asked her.

"Well, Jo and Chad went back to their quarters," Lucy said.  "I think we should go ahead and go back to ours."

Severus stopped abruptly.  "Ours?" he repeated.  "You mean we live together?"

Lucy nodded.  "Yeah.  It was your idea actually. You didn't come right out and say it, but I had the feeling you wanted to keep me close after what happened."  She shuddered even thinking about it.

He started walking again, but let go of her hand.  He had a frown on his face again.  It was beginning to become a habit.  "What happened that caused me to want to keep you that close?  I mean, other than knowing you of course."  He smiled.

The question seemed to make her a little uncomfortable.  After how he'd reacted to the news about Lily, she wasn't sure if telling him about her death was such a good idea, even though he didn't remember that he loved her.

"It must be pretty bad," he commented a few minutes later.  Lucy still hadn't said anything to him.  "I don't think I've ever seen you this quiet and reserved."

"I'm sorry," Lucy apologized.  "I'm just comtemplating on whether I should tell you or not.  It's sort of...shocking."

They were descending the last flight of stairs before the entrance now.  Severus glowered at her.

"I can take it, Lucy.  It's really frustrating that you treat me like a fragile piece of furniture or something."

She shivered at the sound of her name.  His voice was amazing.  She loved it when he said her name especially.  Again she apologized.  "Forgive me, but I don't want to jeopardize your recovery in any way.  I'm sure you could handle it though because you don't remember how you feel about me."  She sighed.  "Once we get into our quarters I will tell you."

Silence fell between them. Lucy let Severus lead the way just to see how far he would go.  They made it as far as the bottom of the staircase leading into the Dungeons.  When he stopped in the middle of the corridor, she took a hold of him and pulled him to the office door.

"This is your office, Severus," Lucy told him as she opened the door.  He walked in and she closed the door behind them.  "Anything look familiar to you in here?"

"Don't think that's going to make me forget about my question.  I still want to know the answer."

"I know.  I told you I would tell you.  I always keep my word."

Severus seemed satisfied with that response and started to look around a little bit.  After a few minutes had passed, he had lost himself in his surroundings, seemingly in awe of the place.  

"Nothing familiar yet," he announced.  

She knew he had finally answered her question.  Lucy bit her lower lip.  She had to think fast while he was reacquainting himself.  How was she supposed to tell him that she died?  She watched him walk over to his desk and he stood there for a moment just staring at it.  He reached down and inspected some of the papers lying there and then picked up something that Lucy was certain he would remember.  He had used it enough.  It was his quill.  He held it in his hand for a moment as if he recognized it and a glimmer of hope appeared in her heart.  He put it back down, frowning.  He left the desk and headed over to the bookcase and then his shelf of potions and ingredients.  Lucy continued to watch him intensely as he looked over the contents of that shelf.  Then he walked over to the window just behind his desk.  He stared out for a long time without moving or speaking.  When Severus slowly turned to face her, she saw why.  His eyes were filled with tears.