Chapter 7

The man in front of her moves swiftly in her direction, seemingly no longer caring about what he had been doing at the front desk. He continues forward, parting the wall of people until they're a mere few inches apart. His frame towers above and pales that of her own smaller stature as he looks down at her. A few dark strands of hair fall forward out of place, grazing his forehead.

Reaching up, he gently cups the side of her face as her eyes widen in amazement. Sparks. Undeniable tingling ignites where their skin touches, the feeling like small zaps of warm static electricity. His eyes move over her body, taking every inch of her standing in front of him. He drinks her up; savoring her presence as if he'll never see her again before speaking softly.

"You're my mate?"

A look of shame flashes across Lilliarna's face as her body shrinks back. She had unknowingly been leaning into him, and now the space between them seems vast in comparison. It takes every ounce of self-control left within her to keep herself from reaching out for him. She looks around, forcing her eyes to go anywhere but on him. By now, people had filtered out of the lobby and its vacancy mirrors how empty she feels from pulling away.

Her mate's eyes soften at her expression and he closes the space she had previously put between them. His hand moves forward, running through her hair, brushing it back before tucking it behind her ear.

"No, no, please, don't look that way. I was only thinking of how lucky I am to have been graced with someone like you by the Moon Goddess."

She looks up at him, surprised by his gentle touch and loving words. Ever since her talk with Amos, she had feared her mate would reject her, cast her aside because of her status as a rogue. The trepidation burned in her mind, squeezing at her lungs the moment she thought it was coming true. With his assurance, she propels herself forward, her arms wrapping around in an embrace. His head dips down, nose nuzzling the top of her head as he breathes in her scent.

Suddenly, he stops, his body stiffening under her touch as a low growl bubbles deep in his chest. His words come through tight teeth.

"You reek of another wolf."

Lilliarna's eyes become impossibly large as realization dawns on her. She shifts from one foot to another, tugging at the rough fabric of her shirt.

""I- It's my roommates. I borrowed it this morning."

Words jumble together as she speaks quicker, forcing the words out, desperate to explain herself.

"I swear we aren't anything. Just friends. I wouldn't- I didn't-"

His body moves away from her embrace, disappointing her as the warm sparks across her body fade. Her mouth opens to protest, but she stops short as his finger comes into contact with her chin, tilting her head up to look at him.

"We're getting you out of that as soon as possible and into one of my own."

His eyes drop to look at her shirt before moving back to her face. He studies her quietly before speaking.

"I believe you, but my wolf is foolishly jealous right now. I'm sorry if I upset you."

Surprise floods through her body as he leans forward, lips lightly pressing against her skin as he kisses her forehead. Without giving time to think, his arm wraps around her waist, leading her towards the front desk where he'd stood only minutes before. His attention turns back to the concierge, who looks suspiciously between the two of them.

"Sorry for that, ma'am. I believe I was in the process of obtaining my room key."

The older woman's thin lips press tight together, nearly disappearing. She flashes him a disapproving look before grabbing a small plastic keycard just off to her right. Grumbling, she extends a small, wrinkled hand in his direction, huffing as he takes the key.