Seven

Six months ago, a sweet human family welcomed a beautiful little girl into their lives. Lilian Anderson was her name, and she was wonderful.

That didn't stop Lucan Raelon from freezing her from the inside out, turning her blood to ice. Her gorgeous blue eyes did nothing to stop him from taking her frozen body and shattering her. Lilian Anderson broke into a million little shards of white ice, forever frozen, forever gone.

Ileana Maninden lowered the second babe in her arms into Lilian's cot. "This is wrong," she whispered into the dark nursery.

"It's what my father demands," Lucan said. But even he sounded unsure.

The babe in the cot, golden haired and blue eyed, who looked just like Lilian Anderson, shifted in her sleep.

"But Rai -"

Lucan cut Ileana off. "Rai lost all sense of control. The healers had no choice but to regress her."

Ileana sighed, running a finger down her best friend's infant cheek. "Maybe this time she will be better. Happier."

"She will be safe," Lucan reassured her.

Ileana pulled away from Rai reluctantly. "Goodbye, Rai."

She took Lucan's hand and became the wind, leaving Rai behind in the place of Lilian Anderson.

She would be happy there, with a family who loves her, until her magic shows itself. Then she will be brought back to Vas Evora to train in the High Tower with the other High Fae younglings.

But she would not be Rai, then. She would not remember her life as Rai Corentin, the only storm faerie of the era, the ward of Adon Corentin. She would be Lilian.