Chapter 22: Starlight

Start from the beginning

The demon's laughter continued to ring out through the forest as he barraged us with attacks and it seemed that he became faster and faster.

"What can't touch me now demon slayers?"

"Takeya" Mizuki softly breathed out as the male beside her nodded his head in understanding.

In response, Takeya slowly backed away and took a deep breath. "Can't touch you now?! Isn't it you who's running away and evading us like a coward?! After all a demon is always lowly!" He yelled in a deadly serious tone, part of what he yelled was what he believed to be true.

Yes all demons that they had come into contact were basically all the same. But Mizuki knew that eventually there would be a demon who would be different. But that type of demon would exist one in a thousand. Additionally, she knew that one specific demon would only be born hundreds of years after her time.

So she couldn't risk feeling sorry for these demons. No, she couldn't afford it. The moment she did then it was an opening for them and she would die.

"Hah!!! Coward?!! Who's a coward!? You demon slayer scum!!! You're the lowly human who can't have regeneration or special skills such as mine!! Humans are weak!!!" The demon yelled as its moves became frantic and started aiming his attacks towards Takeya.

As Takeya fended the demon off while getting scratches and deeper wounds, he patiently waited for a couple for seconds before the wind blew. And that was the decisive moment that the demon slayers knew that they won.

A quick and smooth cut was sent to the demons neck which Mizuki sliced off cleanly. Leaving purple sparks in the air and a deadly silence that lingered before his head fell.

"What-?!" The demon yelled as his head rolled.

"Good job." Takeya smiled gently as he stepped over the demon and patted Mizuki on the head.

"Thank you Takeya but without you I wouldn't be able to cut the demon cleanly." 

Mizuki swung her sword and gracefully inserted it back into a scabbard.  

"Caw Caw!!! Mizuki and Takeya!! Head East towards the Misui town!  Another troublesome demon has appeared within the area, deaths and disappearances of both women and men. " the black crow spoke as it landed on the tree branch above the two. 

The two demon slayers look at each other and let out a sigh.  "Can't seem to catch a break huh." the male sighed out as the two of them began to walk out of the forest. 

"It is speculated that there may be more than one demon or a higher ranking one.  Hurry! Caw! Hurry! More and more people are going missing in the next towns over as well!  Hurry!!" the crow screeched even louder and flew above their heads.  

"Yes, yes.  We are going..." Mizuki stated as she covered her ears.  The information that she just processed had somehow sent chills down her spine, getting a bad feeling.  Shaking her head, Takeya and her started running East towards Misui town.  

"Somehow I have a feeling that this next mission is going to be on a completely different level." Mizuki mumbled out as she looked towards the blue sky, having images of Yoriichi appear in her mind.  Clenching her hands she sped up a little faster.    

'Yoriichi...I wonder where you are..  But I hope you're not at that town.  Please stay safe.' 

_____________

The two demon slayers had finally arrived at the town at dawn.  As the two slowed down their pace, they walked within the streets, watching as people and couples slowly make their way back to their house.