CHAPTER 8

"Did you miss me?"

Vladimir's tan had noticeably deepened while he was away. Madelaine's features twisted into a confused frown as she took in his appearance standing in the doorway.

Had he been to the Caribbean?

To make sure that the scene was set for his big denouement?

She tried to remain calm as he started walking further into the library. The distance between them got smaller until Vladimir was standing tall in front of her. Madelaine tilted her head up at him, meeting the gaze she suddenly feared.

He slowly bent forward and murmured against her ear, "I was hoping to find you still in bed, but Pierre tells me you've become an early riser during my absence. Is it because you find our bed lonely without me beside you?"

Hearing his teasing words, Madelaine scoffed and took a few steps back from him.

"It's not our bed - it's yours, I am just sleeping in it. And if I rise early, perhaps it's because I have no wish to linger somewhere that holds unpleasant memories for me."

There was a sense of satisfaction when Madelaine watched his jaw tighten and the smirk disappear from his lips. The sensual response of her body was still something that still shocked and disturbed her. She could not depend on herself to resist him physically. For the sake of her self-respect and her sanity, Madelaine had to find some other way to stand as barrier between them.

She had come to the conclusion that while she could not resist him physically, she must do so mentally. So that no matter how many times he tortured her with the vulnerability of her body, her mind would remain unresponsive and antagonistic.

Just as he was going to speak, Pierre walked in with a tray of fresh coffee and warm croissants. With a thankful nod, Vladimir took the tray from Pierre and placed it on a small table nearby. He looked pleased when he took a bite of the buttery pastry, a warm smile curving his mouth.

What did Vladimir do when he wasn't pursuing his vengeance against her father, Madelaine wondered distractedly.

He was free to enjoy a life of pleasure and idleness. His mind was too keen and sharp to be of that man who didn't use it.

"You're looking very thoughtful."

Madelaine raised her head, her eyes clashing bitterly with his. "And you find that surprising?" Her temper rose when she saw the indulgent amusement her anger brought to his eyes.

"Your little business trip has reasonably improved your mood, as well as your tan," she said heatedly. "What did you find in the Caribbean?"

"The Caribbean? What makes you think I've been there?" Vladimir questioned curtly.

"Where did you go then?"

"You didn't want to know," Vladimir reminded Madelaine of the last conversation they had, quirking his brow in humour.

"Well, I want to know now." Madelaine persisted on the answer, internally cursing at herself for not inquiring the details before he left; It would have saved her the humiliation of this conversation.

Vladimir chuckled, shaking his head playfully. "If it has not yet occurred to you that I have a life aside from which contains the deep hatred I feel for your father, perhaps it ought to. I went to the Napa Valley, where I now own a vineyard. If my mood strikes you as 'improved', it is because I believe my investment will pay off. It was a business trip, but not the type of business you were clearly thinking of."

Madelaine's face fell in embarrassment. "You will learn to appreciate that men value what they earn for themselves. Everyone needs a goal in life, something to work and aim for. My aim, or one of them, is to produce a new distillation of wine from my Napa Valley vineyards to increase capital."