Story of Mirza and Sahiba

Once long ago, there was a young woman who gave birth to a baby boy in the village of Khewa in Punjab. She died in childbirth and so couldn't take care of her child. Another young woman had a baby girl who was also recently born and took it upon herself to help the little baby boy. She treated him as if he were her own.

The two children were called siblings because they had the same "mother." The girl named Fateh Bibi later got maried to a man named Wanjal in the village of Danababad.

Fateh Bibi's "brother" was named Khewa Khan, stayed in his village. He also got married and had a daughter named Sahiba.

When it was time to put their kids in school, Mirza's parents had decided to send him to his "uncle's" house so he could learn there. Sahiba's father put Sahiba and her "cousin" into classes to learn the Quran together because they both six years old.

Mirza did not know that his "cousin" Sahiba was so attractive. He didn't have a thing for her at first because they were just kids. Soon, as the two kids became teenagers, they had a thing for one another.

While walking back from school one day, Mirza took a different path home. On that path there was a shop. Here he saw Sahiba buying some vegetables. He watched as she asked for various squashes and leaves. Mirza was mesmerized by her and raced all the way home.

As he grew older, Mirza became a brilliant horseman and archer. He rode on his horse named Bakki who swiftly ran through the land.

Soon, Mirza could not live without Sahiba.

Sahiba's parents found out about their love and sent Mirza back home to his parents. They arranged Sahiba's marriage to a man named Tahir Khan. He was from the same town. With Mirza back home, Sahiba's parents were able to prepare for the wedding.

Sahiba sent word of her unfortunate marriage to her love Mirza. As soon as he heard of this, he made preparations to leave. His family tried to stop him but he would not listen to them. Before Mirza left, his father went to Mirza and told him that if he went, then he must be sure to return with Sahiba or else it would bring great dishonor to him and his family. With those words, Wanjal said gave his son his blessings to pursuit his love.

"Go Bakki," Mirza said to his horse to ride on to the village of Khewa.

Mirza reached Sahiba on the day of the wedding right before the ceremony was about to happen. He opened to door to the room Sahiba was waiting in. She was dressed in bright red wedding clothes, her hands decorated with henna. Without waiting another moment, he held her hand and took her away with him on his horse and rode until he thought that they had reached a safe distance. He decided to rest by under the shade of a tree while Sahiba watched over him.

Back at the wedding party, Sahiba brothers called for her to come down to proceed with the ceremonies. When she did not come, her brothers realized that something was wrong. Sahiba's brothers searched the room and other male cousins rode on horseback in search for Mirza and Sahiba.

Sahiba, while keeping watch over her love, feared that her brother would soon catch up. She did not know what to do. If her brothers came and Mirza woke up then her brothers would be sure to die at the hands of Mirza's arrows.

With the hope of her brother taking pity on her, Sahiba reached Mirza's quiver and broke each arrow in it in half. Suddenly, Sahiba's brother and relatives found the couple under the tree. With one quick shot from Sahiba's brother's bow, Mirza awoke to an arrow piercing his throat. Mirza reached for his arrow and saw halves of his arrows broke . He looked up at Sahiba, searching for an answer in her face but was hit with yet another arrow, this time in the chest. Sahiba threw herself over him and together, they died. They were later buried together.