↺ 028 : final reports & concluding essays

Comincia dall'inizio

Talia and I were friends, alright, and I loved her, but she had to stop acting so damn high and mighty. Someone needed to get her off her high horse-or perhaps, break it-and I wasn't so sure I could be that person without destroying a perfectly mutually beneficial friendship I had no interest in destroying.

Opposites didn't always attract-not when people were involved, at least-but in our case, it did, even though Talia thrived on pissing me off twenty-four seven. Unlike her, I was more or less self-deprecating, but I didn't necessarily let it affect my personality. Talia was everything but. She was confident, smart; a girl who knew her worth and was blinded by it.

If only someone-who wasn't me-could take a crowbar, or perhaps, the Jaws of Life and use it to crack open those eyes of hers. If fucking only.

"Do you have all your material?" she asked. "Dr. Chan gets very busy sometimes and I don't think she can easily create openings for students, so we'd better not blow this."

Dr. Chantrea loves me, I wanted to say, but I feared that would stir up a rather nasty broth of jealousy, and boy was I not in the mood for that. "I have my laptop. I have ... myself, and my head, and my brain which is in my head. I think we're set." I also had a copy of my personal "log", which was something I thought I needed her to see. Talia didn't need to know this, either.

Dr. Chantrea's Office was easier to get to than most, being that it was on the second floor. Usually, it was more or less crowded-at least, the 'waiting list' was, but really, you couldn't just walk up to a professor's office without first going through administration, and most times, a permit or at least an invite was required.

She was a busy woman, from what I'd seen the last time I was in her office, but she somehow always managed to make time to see to the needs of her students.

As always, the air conditioner was on.

Unbeknownst to Talia, I'd completed my research, as well s my report. I planned to submit it. It was probably a dick move considering us being partners, but what was the use? We'd likely reach similar conclusions anyway.

I took a seat on the plush black couch in Dr. Chan's office and pulled my jacket tighter. "Professor Chantrea, I think that-"

"We're so sorry for showing up without notice, but if you would please assist us with ... our little dilemma, it would be ... most appreciated." Talia cast me a glance. "Lenny."

I suppressed the urge to roll my eyes at her pretentiousness. She hadn't even wanted to come here. She only did because she was "certain" my ideas would screw with our project. (A fear which made zero sense since 1. It was my idea in the first place, and 2. I was also, very fucking much, a part of this. Whatever end result would affect my final grade as much as it would hers.)

"We've decided to discuss the, uh, connections between the human brain, the hiamn body, and the way the human body functions. This might seem like an easy way out, but it actually isn't because no one can tell how these things happen. And the internet is mostly of no help. Initially I thought it had to do with receptors. Voluntary and involuntary actions are something we were both taught in high school biology, so I figured it wouldn't be that hard I we could find some articles to work with. We did, if you were wondering, but there were hardly comprehensive. I could work with them just fine, but my partner here seems to be having a hard time."

Talia nearly killed me for that one, but the point had been passed, and she'd gotten the help she didn't really need. Dr. Chan reprimanded me for submitting earlier than my partner did-apparently I was supposed to "carry her along"-but took my printed sheets anyway.

She took my log as well. I gulped as she did. There was no going back from that mess.

"I can't believe you said all of that," Talia said to me in a harsh whisper. "Seriously, what were you thinking?"

"Well, I said what I thought fit. I think you forgot to hand me my script before we came." Since you can't seem to bear the thought of my words not aligning with the ones you'd rather have me say. "Anyway, that's one problem solved. Now we can finish this thing and forget about it.

"You up for that? We could go to Sweet Cube."

Talia let out a sigh. "I'm sorry, but I can't. I promised Carter I'd help him with this one mod he's working on. We were supposed to start hours ago, but..."

Are you seriously trying to make me feel guilty for "wasting your time" when you were the one who insisted on this pointless meeting, I wanted to ask, but refrained. Letting my annoyance surface would do neither one of us good.

We passed Sweet Cube. She was still by my side. I assumed she would first stop at her dorm, but said nothing. Honestly, Talia could fuck herself. She could do whatever she wanted. I'd be fine with it as long as she didn't let it affect my schedule or cut into my time.

"Can we meet up tomorrow evening?" she asked, dark brown eyes silently pleading. I sighed.

"Fine, but you're buying me dinner."