↺ 007 : arcades & messy textversations

"I'M THINKING ABOUT CHANGING MY major," said my pink haired roommate, completely unprompted

"I'M THINKING ABOUT CHANGING MY major," said my pink haired roommate, completely unprompted. It was one of those Sunday nights when Carter had absolutely nothing to do for about four to five hours, so, as per usual, we were gathered in the Phi Kappa living room.

Yes, Carter not-our-friend Lee was a member of a fraternity. Mind-blowing.

Tonight I hadn't bothered to straighten my hair as it was a weekend and I didn't have any classes, so it sat atop my head in a very spongy bun. It would be a pain to comb it the next morning, no matter how much conditioner I applied, but that wasn't important now. What was, was that there was nothing to push back, nothing to pick at.

Piper sat on the other end of my couch, poking at a small portion of cake sitting in a paper plate. "I'm thinking about how stupid that thought is," she said without looking up. "Have you thought it through completely?"

"Lay off her, will you?" said Sloan, a white European girl with too many ear piercings. She tucked her hair behind her ear and my eyes narrowed, zeroing in on the action. If I had my way, I would never put my hair up again. "Besides, she's just thinking about it."

Carter strolled into the living room from God knows where and past us, heading straight for the door. "Who's switching majors?" he asked, a hand on the door handle.

I answered. "No one is. Don't listen to Piper."

CJ jabbed me in the side. "Shut up, Lenny. I am. English is so basic, honestly. It's just ... I didn't really think much about it when picking a major. I don't want to learn how to 'read actively' or 'write analytically'. What even is that?"

I heard a sigh from behind me. "University English."

My head whipped around so fast I felt a pull in my lower back. "Atalia?" What? "You know him? You know Carter? Carter Lee?" I looked to Carter. "You know this girl?"

Carter shut the door as quietly as he'd opened it. "Uh, yeah," he said with a nod. "She helps me test my apps for bugs from time to time. Sometimes she fixes my coding errors."

Talia took a seat next to CJ, her legs positioned in a perfectly respectable way. My mother would be proud. Piper would also be proud. I snuck a glance at Piper. Her cake was nothing but crumbs.

The lanky boy sat next to Sloan, giving a space of about one or two feet between them. I did not understand how to act, as Atalia and I barely knew each other, and I didn't ever want to interact with a person as smartassy as she was ever again, but apparently, the universe was Lenny-phobic.

"Where are we going tonight?" CJ asked. Someone had steered off the topic of schoolwork. I wouldn't put it past Piper.

The latter scooped up her cake crumbs. "Dave and Buster's! They've got food," she said, cutting her eyes to CJ, "and, they've got games. I'm feeling up for a challenge ... And I guess something savoury?"