Chapter Ten

"I love your outfit. It's so different and sexy," Alex grinned, tightening my second high pigtail.

"Ouch, that's tight," I whined, holding onto the back of my head where Alex pulled my hair tight, displaying my scar.

No one in the room knew how I came to get it, not that I knew of anyway. I never asked if I was the talk of the town, but even if I was, it was in the past, and it could stay there.

"Are you sure I look okay?" I stood up, ran my hands over my stomach, and rested them on my waist, "I feel so on show."

"So what? You look bloody amazing. I wish I had your curves."

I blushed, looking into the full-length mirror hanging on Alex's bedroom wall. "I wouldn't have worn this a few months ago. Who knew getting dumped would have such an effect on your waistline." I laughed.

"Ashley, you were gorgeous before." Alex smiled.

"Thanks."

"Right, come here, ready for the final touch?" she said, stepping behind me. She sprayed one pigtail blue and the other pink, using an entire can of each to cover my long hair and its darkness.

"God, I love Halloween," she gushed, "And I love parties."

Alex glanced at her phone, eyeing up the time. The party was about to start. I had planned to tell her about what happened with Olly the other night, but I hadn't found the right time. I had all day at school yesterday, but it slipped my mind when I noticed Kyle wasn't in. It worried me more than it should have, but Alex presumed he skipped school. Being the last day of term, quite a few people did. I wished I had; the entire day was pointless and boring.

I picked up a black pointy witch hat and passed it to Alex; she put it straight on. She did a spin and chuckled. "So, how do I look?"

Her outfit was black and tucked in at the waist, exposing her slender frame. Her chest was flaunted, adding a hint of girliness that you wouldn't usually find as she typically opted for the tomboy style. As for her spiderweb fishnet tights, I wanted them. Earlier, I straightened her long blonde hair whilst she did her makeup.

"You make Sabrina herself look bad," I said.

"I know, right."

"Girls! Morgan, Sammy and Emily are here," Harley yelled up the stairs.

"Eeeeeek," Alex excitedly said. "Let's go and have the best Halloween party ever. I can't wait to see what Harley did to the house since we have been up here."

"I can't believe your parents have let you throw a party whilst they're away."

Alex grabbed my bat and handed it to me, "And I still can't believe your mum let you out with that."

"What, it's only a bat? It's part of the outfit," I shrugged as I followed her.

"Wow," I gasped, reaching the top of the stairs. "Look at this place. It's like walking into a horror movie. This is brilliant."

Walking down the stairs, I threaded my fingers through the tonnes of fake cobwebs hanging all over the place. The stench of fake blood and smoke pinged my nose as a fog burst from the smoke machine. It was dark, with dimmed lighting. I could barely see among the people quickly filling the space, Harley's friends and ours.

It was fantastic and my first proper Halloween party. I was buzzing but scared at the same time. How was that even possible?

The spine-chilling music had goosebumps crawling all over my body. My heart was pounding, sweat dripped down my spine, and my mind was going crazy; the number of skeletons hanging from the ceiling wasn't helping. Every time I took a step, something touched me, a web, streamers, hanging spooky ghosts or pumpkins. Whatever it was, it had me jumping out of my skin.