chapter twelve: "never have i ever"

Start from the beginning

"Let's go, they're going to let us use the conference room for a while"

Noah and I both follow my dad down the long hallway. Noah grabs the hand that is by my waist and gives it a comforting squeeze before letting go. The three of us make our way into the meeting room and close the door behind us.

"Dad-"

"No Scarlett. You two have done enough talking, it's my turn. I asked two things of you before coming to this school. Two; that's it. You couldn't follow two simple rules. Not only are you dating my hockey player, but you're dating my captain. Do you realize the difficult position this puts me in? How am I supposed to trust him to run this team when I can't even trust him to stay away from my own daughter?" He turns to Noah, "and you. I told all of you before season started that you were to stay away from my daughter. Yet 4 weeks in here you are, taking advantage of her already!"

"Dad! That's enough, please!"

"I said it was my turn to talk Scarlett"

"You aren't talking though! Would you please just listen to us? And let us explain before you start saying all of those awful things?"

"Fine. Talk, Hale. Tell me what happened in your own words."

"Coach, I'm not taking advantage of Scarlett. I know I'm not known for relationships or serious commitments, but I swear this is different. I met her the day she moved into her dorm, Chloe, her suitemate, had brought the girls to a party at our house. I knew the rules, and I stayed away. But when I caught this creep trying to pressure her into stuff in the hallway, I couldn't help but want to protect her. I let her stay at our house that night and she slept in my room."

My dad's eyes widened, and he looked like he wanted to punch Noah in the face.

Noah put up his hands and quickly explained, "no no no, I slept on the couch I swear. I just meant, it never started as anything more than friends. But we all started hanging out more and more and Scar and I just caught feelings. It wasn't on purpose or out of spite or anything like that. It just happened."

My dad's face is slowly becoming less and less angry so I decide to jump in while he's calm.

"Dad, I know you don't want me with a hockey player, but Noah makes me happy. Our friend group is the one reason I feel so at home at school. And yeah, I didn't mean to fall for him but it happened and I'm sorry that it hurts you but I'm not sorry that it happened. He cares about me, do you know how hard that is to find in college this young? You have to get that" I plead.

He looks at me for a minute before finally talking, "you really like him, don't you?"

I let out a sigh, "yeah dad, I really do"

He looks to Noah now, "you were willing to give up this team for her?"

"Let's be honest, coach, you like me too much to cut me" he jokes.

My dad's hard glare let's a small smile break through at Noah's statement before Noah continues, "but yeah, I would sit a few games for her."

Dad sighs as he puts his fingers on the bridge of his nose, "Alright," he groans, "you, your grades slip or you get in any sort of trouble, it's done" he says pointing at me.

"And you," he turns to Noah, "you slack in practice or let go of any of your responsibilities as captain, it's done. Are we all clear?"

"Y-Yes sir, coach" Noah nervously answers.

I don't answer, and instead give my dad a tight hug, "I love you, dad."

He kisses the top of my head and hugs me back, "I love you too, sweetie."