Chapter One- "Scarlett Newman"

Two rules. When I applied to Clarkson University six months ago, my dad gave me two rules- "try your hardest to get good grades and stay away from my hockey players." See, my dad is the head coach for the Clarkson Golden Knights hockey team, a Division I school with a prestigious hockey team to back it up. I, however, just wanted to go there for their journalism program. I grew up surrounded by the various sports my dad coached. Eventually, I loved writing about them, the action, the players, everything. Plus I don't like attention enough to be a sports newscaster, so journalism was the next best thing.

As I carry my 30th box into my small dorm room, I seriously begin to second guess my decision to live on campus instead of commuting the 15 minutes from my family's home. I had insisted on the "on-campus experience" that I am determined to have.

"You know, it's not too late to pack all of this back into the car and just drive it home" my dad laughs as we walk back into the room.

"And get to drive to 6am dryland practices with you? I think I'll pass thanks," I smile back at him.

My dad's team is good, but that doesn't come easily. He has them up 3 times a week for 6am drills that aren't even on the ice, and then 6 days a week they have at least 2-hour practices on the ice. If I was stuck on campus, with no car, for all of those, I think I would lose it.

We finally bring in the rest of my stuff and I quickly unpack and start decorating. I was lucky enough to get into a dorm that is decently large and has its own bathroom. Well, I should say a shared suite bathroom. My roommate and I share a bathroom with the room next door to us, so like a jack-and-jill type bathroom. It's nice, full size double vanity and a decent sized shower.

"Okay... are you sure you don't want us to stick around to wait for your roommate? What if she's mean? Or super messy? I don't mind sitting around and maybe folding some clothes or-"

"Mom, I'm fine. More than fine, I'm great. Just go I'll be okay I promise"

"Fine, I get it I'm being dramatic I know. We'll see you Sunday night for dinner?"

Ugh I already forgot, I agreed to spend Sunday night dinners at my parents' house at least twice a month.

"Yes, mom. I love you both" I say as I give them both hugs.

Don't get me wrong, I love my parents to death, but they're a little clingy. Ever since my older brother, Derek, moved to Florida for college 2 years ago, they've tried to keep me around for as long as possible. It's not all bad, laundry whenever I need is only 15 minutes away plus a homecooked meal every now and then wouldn't be the worst thing for a freshman in college.

Shortly after my parents leave, my roommate, Natalie, shows up with all her things. She was about the same height as me and we seem to be similar in build too. She has long blonde hair while I have mid-length dark brown hair.

"Hi, I'm Natalie, but most people just call me Nat" she said as she flashed a smile.

"Scarlett" I replied warmly. "Did you need any help with your things?"

"Oh, that would be great, you don't mind?"

"No not at all" I assure her, and we go to get the rest of her stuff.

"Are your parents here with you?" I ask as we start the first trip.

"No, no they couldn't get out of work, they're stuck in New York City, but that's ok! I liked the drive and they're super clingy." She laughs.

"Trust me, I get that."

Shortly after getting Natalie settled, our neighbors, who we share the bathroom with, come and knock on our door.