46.

•••

•••

They drove in the Twinkie back to Limbrey, sirens causing them to look up in panic.

"Oh shit! They found your car." Kie said as they stared at the cops in front of them.

"Shit this isn't gonna end well." Sage muttered.

"Chill," John B told them repeatedly.

"Of course!" JJ exclaimed quietly in annoyance.

"Just relax!" John B said to them. "Just relax."

They stopped, the cops making their way over to the Twinkie.

"Good evening officer." John B greeted as Shoupe shone a flashlight in his face.

"Sheriff."

"Sheriff, yeah- that's right." John B repeated, "Speed kills huh?"

"I pulled the tags." Shoupe said, making Sage start to slide down to hide. "And I know whose Ranger Roger that is."

Suddenly the flashlight shined on her, "Hey Sage you drop your weed pen back there?"

She gave a sheepish smile, "Uh- no actually, I dropped my phone. I was about to text Mama Thornton, see how they're doing." She lied.

"Sheriff I just wanna say that this is all my fault." Pope spoke up. "She had nothing to do with this I take 100% responsibility."

"Nothing to do with it?" Shoupe questioned, "Uh-huh, you wanna try that again? Your mother reported the car missing four hours ago, and the keys were missing from the house. I'm taking you home. Or, I can pull you all in for leaving the scene of an accident."

"Yeah I get." Sage answered, "I'm coming."

Shoupe gestured for Plumb to open the door. Sage looked at her brother giving him a smile, then her eyes looking at JJ.

He was glancing at Plumb with annoyance, looking at Sage not wanting her to go. She gave him a reassuring nod, hopping out of the Twinkie.

"Come on let's get you home." Shoupe stated, Sages face turning annoyed as he brought her to the cop car.

•••

"You take the car without permission," Mrs. Thornton yelled, "You crash the car and then don't even bother to tell me?"

Sage stared out the window, looking into the nighttime silently. "And not to mention you brought a thief into our house!"

The girl finally looked at the women, "Yeah we have cameras. I saw your little friend. That's the same boy who sunk our boat! What were you thinking."

"I was thinking I need to get my brothers car out of the tide before it sunk." Sage answered honestly. "Your car being crashed was not part of the plan though."