31.

•••

•••

"These Kooks make our Kooks look like Pogues." JJ said as they stared at the ginormous house in front of them. "You sure this is the place Pope?"

They looked at it uncertain, "Pretty sure."

That was all JJ had to hear, "Alright," He opened the door and hopped out. He held out his hand for Sage, her grabbing it. A shock hit both of their hands, "Sorry," Sage muttered, "must be static."

"Yeah- yeah," JJ brushed it off as Sage went to Kie, "Static."

They waited for Pope before walking to the house, "Fat city for sure." JJ said.

Pope held up the note, "27 Kings Street." He said looking at the house.

"Talk about home security." JJ said as they looked at the high fence, spikes on the top. "Are those spikes to keep people out?"

"No." Kie answered.

"The slave quarters are over there." Pope gestured, "These spikes were to keep people in."

"That's comforting." Sage said, then smiling, "let's go."

They went inside, going to the front door. Pope grabbed the door knocker, hitting it three times against the door.

"You think that was too much?" Pope asked.

"It echoed the entire house. That's for sure." JJ responded. "So they definitely heard it."

"Maybe nobody's home." Kie said as they waited. Pope went to knock again, the door opening as he did.

A man stepped into view, looking at the four teens. His eyes landed on Pope, and a smirk formed on his face, "You must be Pope." He pointed to the boy.

"Uh-," Pope looked towards Sage who nodded, telling him to continue, "Are you Mr. Limbrey?"

"Ms. Limbrey," The man correct, "was expecting you yesterday."

"I'm- I'm sorry. My car broke down on the way up here." Pope apologized.

"Carburetor blew up in the middle of Nowheresville." JJ explained. "Sorry bout that."

"Yeah she was, uh," The guy stared at Pope, "Real upset when you didn't show up."

"We would of called but there was no number on the invitation." Sage defended. "We got here as fast as we could."

"She also expected you to come alone." The man said glaring at the girl.

"I mean- these are my friends." Pope said, "They helped find the Royal Merchant too, I-,"

"Yeah the instructions were explicit. Your friends can stay outside."

"We're kinda of a package deal, man." JJ said.