Isaac growled. 'I'm starting to wonder if there even is a leader! Maybe you're the one orchestrating this!'

The man suddenly became angry. 'I would never hurt my–'

'What is it you need to tell me?' Isaac kept his heated gaze locked onto the man. 'Is it anything useful this time or just more riddles for me to solve? You're criticising me for not protecting Roxy but you're the one withholding the damn identity of the one who wants her!'

The man seemed sheepish before muttering, 'They're going to strike.'

'When?'

'Minutes, hours, maybe days.'

Isaac laughed bitterly. 'You've been working undercover with these rogues for what? Ten years? And that's all you can tell me about the war that's about to start!'

'Look after her for me.' The man pinched the bridge of his hat before making his way around the truck. 'Goodbye, Isaac.'

Isaac's shoulders were heaving with laboured breaths as he watched the man drive away, leaving him in clouds of grey dust. With an angry roar he allowed his claws to shoot out from his knuckles and swiped them into the trunk of a nearby tree. He watched, continuing to breathe heavily as it groaned before collapsing onto the ground. Isaac's mind was a mess. The one person he had on the inside was no longer around. That was if he'd even been trustworthy in the first place.

What if he'd been playing him this whole time?

Isaac tore his gaze away from the shrinking truck when his phone started ringing from the truck. Closing himself in the cab, he answered through the handsfree device. Tobias' caller ID filled the screen.

'Meet me at Sam and Miss Octavia's place – pronto.'

The chunky tyres screeched as the heavy truck barrelled around a corner

The chunky tyres screeched as the heavy truck barrelled around a corner. The townhouses with perfectly manicured gardens and lawns whipped by the windows before Isaac parked the truck out the front of one of them.

Three Omegas were standing by the front door. The smell of decaying bodies filled Isaac's nose and he breathed through his mouth.

'What have you found, Lucas?' Isaac asked the young werewolf.

'I think you better take a look yourself.' A grim look was on the boy's pale face as he opened the door.

Clasping an arm over his nose to try filter the awful stench, Isaac walked through the house. In the lounge room he came to a halt, his eyes finding the source of the smell. Moving forward, he crouched by the dead humans whose flesh was beginning to rot away. Combing his eyes across their grey skin, he couldn't find any sign of abuse or struggle. Their eyes were wide open with their mouths as they stared at the ceiling, and despite being lifeless Isaac could almost see fear in their eyes. It seemed that Sam hadn't gotten to New York, if that email really had been sent by him. They'd been dead for months. How had no one found them yet? Isaac frowned and looked at the decaying body of the woman. How...?