THIRTY TWO

'That was dangerous.' The man's hands were clenched into fists, his eyes narrowed into hateful slits at the witch on the other side of the bars.

The witch grinned, making her the picture of evil insanity just like his leader, even more so with the flames of the torches casting shadows across her sharp features. 'Now, now, Mr. Wolf. I was just having a little fun.' She tapped a long nail against her chin. 'Seeing how far my power can still go after being locked up for so long.'

'You could've killed them both,' he seethed.

The witch gave a loud cackle. Two of the other three joined in, the third remaining huddled in the dark corner. Even from the darkness her long blonde hair seemed to glow.

'Now I know it's not Abaddon you're concerned about,' crooned the ringleader, running her nails along the bars. She grinned. 'It's the young girls, isn't it?'

The man cracked his neck, his wolf reading to rip the stupid wench to shreds. 'Abaddon wants them unharmed – they are your orders!'

The witch pressed herself against the bars, her tongue licking at her teeth and a wild look in her eyes. Being a beautiful woman, it was easy to see how she managed to woo so many men. They didn't care about the crazy and unstable inside. The man was immune to her attractiveness though. He'd given, and lost, his heart a long time ago.

'I know your little secret,' whispered the witch.

'You know nothing,' spat the man.

The witch ran a bony finger down her cleavage, barely pushed up by a corset falling apart. 'I haven't been touched, properly, for years. There's something about you werewolves that love so passionately. No wonder why Selene couldn't get enough of you.' The witch looked at him as if he were a meal, only making him scrunch his face in disgust. 'Those guards are just boys, little dogs that hump my legs, but you–'

'I will tear you limb for limb if you don't shut that filthy mouth of yours, witch. Remember your place on the food chain.' The man gave them all a look of disgust, even the youngest in the corner who barely said a peep, before nodding at the guards to open the cellar doors for him.

Behind him, the witches cackled like a deranged pack of hyenas.

It was a warm dabbing pressure on her lip that had Roxy stirring awake

It was a warm dabbing pressure on her lip that had Roxy stirring awake. Judging by the smells and padding surrounding her, she was in bed and propped up against a gazillion pillows. There was the sound of dribbling water, like a cloth being squeezed into a bowl. It was her wolf who told her who was by her bedside before she'd even opened her eyes. With a deep sigh she forced her eyes to open, wincing against the light of the bedside lamp. Isaac paused reaching up to dab her lip with a washcloth.

'Hi.' Her voice was scratchy and she cleared her throat.

Isaac remained silent, his brow furrowed as he gently continued dabbing at her top lip with acute concentration.