"I don't really work there. I'm just helping my dad out for the holidays. But...I already put in a good word for you and he will be calling you once he looks over your application."

They both smiled at each other. "Thank you. I really need that job. My mom will be ok soon and I'll move back to Hollywood, but for the meanwhile I have to survive on something. I am not about to mooch off Nick all the time."

Derek raised a brow. "What's up with the fighter? He family?"

"No. He's a friend of my...mine. I'm staying with him for a bit. He's training me."

"Training you for what?"

Maxine blushed, not all guys liked the idea of a girl being in fights. "I want to join the UFC lightweight championship. Plus, I have a big fight worth a lot of money coming up in a few months. I got to be in shape."

He nodded as if he understood. "Oh...reason for all the running. I think that's really cool. Good luck with that."

"Thanks."

"I've heard that Nick Carter is quite the character...like he's a real drunken asshole."

She laughed a little and was tempted to agree wholeheartedly. "Actually, he has his good moments. I guess he's going through some stuff. He's not bad." The memory of the kiss burned her lips. She was still struggling to understand what had come over him for kissing her in the first place and then for running off.

"I'm just gonna come out and ask you. Do you consider this a date?" Derek's cheeks blushed.

Maxine giggled. "Do you?"

He cleared his throat and nodded his head. "Yes. One of the best I've had."

"You are so full of it! I'm so boring!" 

He smiled, "I've had a great time tonight. I thought it was going to rain all day and ruin our outing." 

She nodded in response. It was fun hanging out with Derek, but her mother, the holidays and now Nick were on her mind. It was making it difficult to fully concentrate on the cute guy sitting across from her.

           ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~              

"Niiick there is a huge dog on your bed." A woman hollered at Nick from upstairs.

Nick groaned, tonight everything was getting on his nerves mainly the fact that Maxine wasn't home yet and it was two in the morning. "Fuck Amanda. Leave the damn dog alone."

"It's drooling all over your bed. How am I supposed to lie down if it's taking up all the space? Fat ass dog!" Turbo shifted onto a pillow and started to bark. "Shut up!" She squealed.

"Turbo..." Nick yelled and rolled his eyes at the situation. He wasn't too happy about the pit being in his house, but Maxine had won Tuesday's race fair and square. Plus he was an obedient mutt. Turbo came shuffling down the stairs and leaped up on the sofa next to Nick. "Dude, I have to admit you're not as bad as I thought." Nick scratched the top of Turbo's head and he huffed making himself comfortable.

He wasn't comfortable for too long, he lifted his head and his ears shot up as the door opened and Maxine walked in. She quietly closed the door and turned around to see Nick and Turbo's necks craned to see her.

"Oh...hi." She patted her leg and called Turbo and he obediently sauntered over to her.

"It's really late." Nick stated seriously.

Maxine smiled, "Yes. I know. I'm here now."

She started walking down the hall towards her room, Nick in tow. "You don't have to be such a smartass. I'm in charge of you and I can't have you wandering around at two in the morning, Max."

"Is that what really worries you?"

"Of course." He cleared his throat. "I know what I did today was impulsive and dumb. I'm sorry if that confused you a bit. I don't want things to get weird around us."

She laughed a little. "You don't have anything to worry about. It meant nothing...yes, you caught me by surprise, but it's just a kiss. Good night, Nick." She walked into the room and closed the door.

"That was definitely a fuck off good night." He spoke to himself as he made way back to his room.

"What's taking you so long?" The brunette stood at the base of the stairs, only in her undergarments. She stuck out her hand and waved a little bag between her fingertips. "I got blow!" She smiled as Nick made way towards her.

"I'm not fucking with that shit anymore, Amanda." He said passing her by and sitting on the bed.

"The fuck you aren't." She opened the bag and carefully poured a little of the white powder on her hand between her thumb and forefinger. She pushed Nick back a little and straddled his lap. "I know you want to Nick. This is you...blow...alcohol...fighting...fucking...no one can change that."

Nick swallowed hard trying to fight the urge. Then it hit him that maybe she was right. He could never change. He didn't want to change. He took hold of her hand forcefully and gave the powder one strong snort.

"See...you're so strong and yet so weak." The brunette smiled as she pushed Nick to lay down. "I'm going to make you feel so much better..." She got off his lap and got on her knees, while Nick closed his eyes feeling everything get fuzzy.