Chapter 9

We walked down the steps, down into the basement. "Simon, where are you?" I asked, fumbling around trying to find him in the pitch black room. I felt a hand grab my arm and I screamed. "Hey it's just me it'a fine" Simon said, grabbing both of my arms and holding me near him, I could feel his breath on the back of my neck.

        "Let's go this way" Simon whispered into my ear, as we walked forwards. There was a beam of light shining out from the wall. We squeezed through the crack in the wall, and found ourselves in a tunnel. "Where do you think it leads?" Simon asked, squinting, as his eyes adjusted to the bright lights.

        "Let's find out" I said, walking down the tunnel. "AH!" I screamed, running through the tunnel, Simon hot on my trail. "Why did you scream?" Simon asked, leaning against a wall, out of breath. "There was skeletons, little kids skeletons on the walls....they were hang-" I said, not finishing.'The song' I thought to myself, thinking about the lyrics.

        At the end of the tunnel were stairs, and a trap door. I got up on the steps, and pushed open the trap door, finding ourselves back in the shack. I climbed up the rest of the steps, and thumped down in a old wooden chair.

        "I want answers...." Simon said, pushing over a chair. I looked over at him, knowing what he meant. "Let's look through the diary then." I said, pulling it out of my bag. We sat down in chairs, and started reading.

                                                                                                                                                        04-16-1992

    Dear diary,

Today was awful, they did it again. Jordan and Luke killed another kid. I really wish they would stop, but they say that killing is the only way to keep the balance, I tried arguing with Luke, but he just got mad at me. Christie and Joyce don't agree with me either, they say that it is fine. I honestly cannot see how you can just kill people, I fear that they will kill me next. They have killed 10 kids so far, why not me? I am no different from those children. Christie hasn't been letting me go home either, she says that they can't risk me telling anyone about us. They call themselves the 'Crazy Eights' That's why they kill people, as more kids join, they kill the others so that they only have 8 people. Well, that's all for today.

                                                                                                                                                        04-20-1992

Dear Diary,

They did it. I cannot believe it, they killed Jordan. A 14 year old boy named Chase and a 12 year old boy named Simon joined us, and they killed poor Jordan. They also killed Sally, but she was only a week old member. I fear that they are out of control. I wonder if they will ever stop killing, I went home yesterdayay, and as much as I wanted to tell my parents, I didn't. I knew that if I did, they would kill me to. My mom wouldn't care though, only my dad would. You know, I wonder what brings us all together, they kill all of the ones that are not like us. Chase says that there is something about each of us, that brings us together, I am just not sure what it is. And no one will tell me.

                                                                                                                                                        05-02-1992

Dear Diary,

I have not been writing because I have not been here. My mother was unhappy that I was never home, so she made me stay home. That's when I realised what tied us all together. We all have been hurt by people we once trusted. When I realised this, I also realisd that the people they kill, are those who would betray us. I am not upset about them dying anymore, I even help them kill those children who would betray us. And everytime we kill someone, we hide them under the floor boards. Joyce taught us a song that her father taught her, and we changed the words a little, it is our pledge now. And we sing it while we are down by the river. It is nice and hidden, no one knows about it but us, and that is the way we like it. We have our permanent members now. Christina, Chase, Lucielle, Joyce, Simon, Luke and me, Carrie. Simon says he does not trust Lucielle, and we all agree that there is something strange about her, but we know that she will not tell.

        "Lucielle, she...we..." I said, getting light headed. I dropped the Journal and ran outside into the freezing rain. I leaned against a tree, and stared at the shack. "We're murders?" I said to myself, the cold rain feeling good against my hot, sticky skin.

        "You okay Joyce?" Simon called out from the shack, the most I could manage was a nod. He waved for me to come back inside, and as much as I didn't want to, I felt that I needed to keep reading, not all of it, but the last entry.

                                                                                                                                                07-01-1992

Dear Diary,

This will be my last entry, as I am moving and They will not let me take my journal. They did the one thing I never thought they would, they killed Lucielle, they didn't even put her under the floorboards, they placed her in a small chest. When I asked why, they did not answer, they said that I could not know, that if I knew everything could be ruined. They plan on killing me, I know it. Which is why I must escape. I do not know where, all I know is that I would rather live on the streets than be here. None of them are here yet, Christina left me a note telling me to meet them here at 7am, and that they have a suprise for me, that is only a nice way of saying that they are going to kill me. They are insane! And once again they're are eight of them..............Crazy Eights