"How's it going with Nick?" He cleared his throat hoping his daughter would answer.

Maxine felt her cheeks burning with anger, but she needed the ride to see her mother. So, she had given into riding with Howie to the hospital before he went back home to Florida.

"As good as it can go with a stubborn ass man who drinks too much."

"I'm sorry about your mom. I'm sorry about my behavior at the party on Saturday and especially for having to leave you with Nick. I just...this is really hard for me too. I want you to know that I don't doubt your mom...I believe that you are my daughter."

Maxine turned to look at Howie. "Really?"

He shook his head and smiled. "Yes. AJ says you have my eyes."

"Nick says that too."

"Do me a favor, Max?" She nodded, "Don't look into Nick's eyes too often. He has this wicked way of charming the pants off women."

That comment made Maxine laugh out loud. She rolled her eyes and assured to Howie that, that wouldn't be happening to her. Although, she had to admit that if Nick didn't spend so much time trying to be a dickhead, he could definitely be charming.

Howie parked the car and they made way to the hospital. They walked side by side in silence towards Kristine's room. Maxine felt so sad as she peeked her head into the room and saw her mother on the bed.

"I'll be out here." Howie said settling against the wall.

Maxine just nodded and entered the room. She took a seat in the chair next to the bed and took her mother's hand in hers. "Hi mom, I miss you. My life is upside down right now. I need you to wake up for me."

She waited for a response. But her mother remained with her eyes closed. She was startled by the doctor walking into the room. He placed a hand on her shoulder and greeted her with a warm smile.

"Hello Maxine. How are you doing?"

"I'm fine, thanks. How is my mother?"

The older man let out a sigh and shook his head. "Your mother still hasn't responded. We are hoping to see a sign soon. We still have hope kiddo."

Howie greeted the doctor as he entered the room and walked over to the opposite side of the bed. He stared at the woman who looked like she was sleeping. A sigh escaped his chest as he was flooded by good memories of Kristine. He'd loved her so much and she had broken his heart by leaving. Now, it hurt even more to know that she had left to hide Maxine from him. He just didn't understand why. Why would she do such a thing?

"She's still beautiful." He muttered.

Maxine smiled. "Yes, she sure is."

"She's going to come around...I have faith." Howie tried to reassure Maxine who looked really sad.

                     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The day had come and gone. Maxine had done her first attempt at training with Nick. She'd been able to see her mother and hang out with Howie. He had promised to come back for the holidays. Now, she was curled up on the sofa watching television and eating cereal. She had the slightest clue where Nick had gone and was enjoying the peace and quiet in the house.

The quiet didn't last long. Turbo hopped off the couch and started barking at the door. There was a bit of commotion outside and Maxine stood on her tiptoes to check it out through the peephole. She rolled her eyes when she noticed Nick stumbling with his usual blonde, Bonnie. Angrily she opened the door and stood in the doorway with her hands on her hip.

"Hey roomie!" Nick wiggled his eyebrows as he tripped on the stairs and landed at Maxine's feet.

Maxine stared at Bonnie with her eyebrows raised high. "If you really liked him you wouldn't let him get like this. You're enabling him to continue being a loser. Go home!"

Bonnie didn't budge and glared at Maxine. "Who the hell do you think you are? You are nothing but a little girl who is infatuated with my fighter. He will never fuck with you."

Nick was barely making it back on his feet. "Leave the skank outside." He mumbled laughing as he stumbled into the house and crashed into the sofa.

Maxine smiled wide and slammed the door in Bonnie's face. She shook her head watching Nick attempt to crawl up the stairs. He was such a mess. A mess she felt compelled to clean up.

After struggling to get him upstairs she sat him on the bed. "Alright lie down and get some sleep. You will definitely feel like shit in the morning." She helped him with his shoes and then unbuttoned his dress shirt.

"Mad Max...that's what we should call you, because you're short tempered like your dad." His eye was getting better and it was open a slit as he looked up at Maxine. "I say you lay down with me."

She laughed and remembered what Howie had told her. It was definitely tempting to her, but she was determined not to get in his way. "Sounds tempting...but I think it's a bad idea. Go to sleep, Nick." She pushed him down on the bed and it was impossible for him to even try to get up.

He turned onto his stomach and hung halfway off the bed. "But...I'm lonely..." She heard him mumble and it made her come to a stop at the stairs. She turned to look at him and he was already fast asleep.

"Me too." She spoke softly and then headed off to bed.