Chapter 20

Michael makes no attempt of an excuse. In fact he isn't saying a word to me. I can do no more than stare in disbelief as he puts his boxers and jogging bottoms back on, all the while smiling in my direction. God he looks like the cat who got the cream. At least my indiscretions are never committed in our familial bed. Our home. Andrew and I always meet at work or the motel down the road. Occasionally in his tiny one bed studio flat. Never would I dare taint our home in this way. 

Michael strides over to me, reaching out a hand. On instinct I flinch. In an instant he has frozen, the only movement coming from a vein throbbing with life on his left temple. His fists clench at his sides as he steps closer to me. Barely an inch of air between us. I can feel myself shrink at the sheer size of him. I look at our feet, mine covered by a new pair of black heels, his barefoot. I focus on the small mole on his smallest toe. I want the ground to swallow me, to take me from the argument I know is about to occur. His saliva stabs at my face as he screams. I'm too focussed on not look at him to hear everything, so I hear no more than drabs.

"Your fault....... she's a friend....... you lied..... home early...... make me angry...... worthless bitch..... look at me when I'm talking to you!"

His anger shakes the door we stand between. I jump and stare at him. I can't speak, nor do I want him to know I wasn't listening. A sharp sting spreads on my right cheek as my head is forced to one side. A yelp escapes me, the force having caused me to bite my tongue. A coppery taste ravages my tastebuds. I bring a hand to my throbbing face. Tears sting my eyes. 

"Now look what you've made me do! You've turned me into the monster you're trying to convince everyone I am!" 

He grabs my shoulders and flings me completely into the bedroom before stomping down the stairs. I can hear him slam the front door with such force that the house shudders with fear. Alone again I sob quietly, angry at myself for causing this.