Part 41

Bunty found out that both Polly and Ada had come back to Small Heath. Apparently, the stock market in America had crashed and has affected the business, and they were having a meeting with the board to discuss it. Bunty was glad she wasn't on the board as she had no clue how the stock markets work or anything of the sort.

She decided to pay Polly a visit to settle both her's and Finn's nerves and to once and for all see who Elliot's father is. She knocked on the door; it was getting late so, she wouldn't be surprised if she didn't get the door. She was astonished when Ada opened the door. "Bunty, I've seen you a lot recently," Ada laughed, hugging the girl.

"Yeah," Bunty said, "is Polly in?" Bunty asked.

"Yes, come in," Ada invited the woman in towards the area her and Polly were drinking and talking.

"Hello, Polly, sorry for intruding so late," Bunty told her, sitting down in one of the armchairs.

"You only visit for tea readings; should I make a pot?" Polly questioned.

"Ah, no," Bunty said, shaking her head while also realising that she did only visit Polly when she needed to get her leaves read. "But it does involve that, though..."

"Go on," Polly said, lighting up a cigarette.

"When I asked you when I was pregnant with Elliot, whether the baby was Finn's or not-"

"There was a chance it was someone else's?" Ada questioned curiously.

"Uh, yes," Bunty said quickly before looking back at Polly, "were you telling the truth when you said he was Finn's."

"No," Polly told her, looking at the woman briefly before looking elsewhere.

"What?" Bunty wouldn't have imagined that Polly would say no. "S-so he's not Finn's?" Bunty's face paled. "You knew for three years and never told me?"

"I knew Finn would get mad if he weren't his, so I thought lying would be best for both you and him," Polly told the woman, taking another drag. "I also hoped that he'd look like you or at least was born with ginger hair-"

"Do you know who the actual father is?" Ada asked Bunty.

"Yes," Bunty nodded.

"Who is it?" Polly asked.

Bunty looked at the woman, then to Ada, "I don't think you'd want to know."

"Who is it?"

"Michael," she admitted harshly.

"My son, Michael?" Polly said disbelievingly.

"Yes," Bunty said, looking from Polly's shocked face to Ada's.

"Your Elliot is my first grandchild," Polly gasped.

"You're not bothered by the fact I slept with your son?" Bunty asked.

"Not really, he could've done worse," Polly said, "are you going to tell Finn that Elliot's not his?"

"Yes. He said that he's still going to act as his father regardless of who his birth father is," Bunty sighed. "I should get back. Thank you, Polly, for telling me the truth. Even if it was three years late."

"I'm just surprised you didn't get angrier," Polly admitted.

Bunty laughed, "I spent all my anger yesterday," she told them without expanding any further, "anyway, it was nice to see you both and thank you again. Bye." Bunty waved to both women then left the house.

Bunty made it back home and saw Isaiah at their kitchen table, "what are you doing here?" Bunty questioned.

"Finn and I are going out for some drinks," he said, the man in question coming down the stairs.

"Oh, Finn, can we talk a moment before you go?" Bunty said.

"Start heading to the Garrison. I'll catch up," Finn told Isaiah. Isaiah nodded and left the house after saying goodbye to Bunty. "You spoke to Polly?"

"She did lie," Bunty admitted. "Elliot isn't yours."

It was almost like relief washed over Finn; he finally knew why he felt so detached from the child. But he made a promise to Bunty, and he planned to keep it. "That's okay," he told her, "I'm still his father regardless if he shares my blood or not," he kissed Bunty's forehead. "I've gotta go."

"Don't get too drunk," Bunty told him.

"I will," he joked, grabbing his jacket. Pressing one last kiss to her lips. "I'll see you later, love."

"Okay, see you later," she told him, both saying "I love you" before Finn closed the door.

~:~:~:~

Finn wasn't next to her in the morning, so Bunty assumed he got drunk and passed out at the Garrison. She noted that the children were asleep. They'd be fine for a moment while she was away, but she did tell her neighbour, a lovely older woman, to check on them if they woke up.

Bunty wandered towards the Garrison and made her way in through the back door as she didn't want to make a noise while coming in. She went to shout Finn's name but heard the sound of splashing water and then Finn exclaiming out in surprise.

"Wake up," Arthur's voice said. "Rise and shine."

Bunty peered around the corner and spotted Tommy and Arthur looking at Finn, who was sat in one of the booths, now looking a little bit wet. "What are you doing here?" Finn asked his brothers.

"Wasting our fucking time on you," Thomas told him. Finn got passed a glass of water by Arthur and went to stand up, "sit down, Finn," Tommy said commandingly. "Sit down," he repeated. Thomas stood up and walked up to the boy, "what do I have to do to make you fucking listen to me?" He asked, then lowered his voice; from where Bunty was standing, she almost couldn't hear him "you took a bullet. You've been running around the streets with a fucking gun in your hand."

"Somebody has to," Funn told his brother.

"Finn, we've got people for that kind of work," Arthur told him. "Soldiers. Captains and corporals."

Finn chuckled, "well, then, what am I?" He asked, sipping his drink of water.

"'What am I?' Jesus Christ," Thomas said under his breath and then cleared his throat.

"Yeah. What am I, Tom? Huh?" Finn prompted. "I'm the brother you never got around to."

"You're a general, Finn. You understand? You're a fucking Shelby, so you're a general. When did you last see a general anywhere near the blood and the puke, eh?" Tommy said.

"He's fucking right," Arthur agreed with his brother. "That's what you are. So, on your feet, soldier." Finn just smiled up at him, "come on, on your feet!"

"I thought you just said I was a general," Finn told them smugly.

"I did just say you were. So, get on your fucking feet-" as he was saying this, Arthur grabbed Finn by the shoulders to try and pull him to his feet.

Thomas pushed Arthur back, saying his name warningly. "Finn. Finn, look at this," Thomas pulled out something from his pocket. "This is the bullet that Aberama Gold cut from you. First and last." He flicked the bullet at Finn, who caught it easily. "First and last," Thomas repeated.

Finn stood up, "don't lose it," Arthur told his youngest brother. "Go and clean up. Put some clothes on. Nice suit. I've got some trouble that'll keep you out of trouble."

Bunty didn't realise until Finn got closer that Finn wasn't wearing his shirt, or vest or suit jacket he was wearing when he left home.

Finn walked past her but then did a double-take and looked at her, "Bunty?" He said in confusion.

"You didn't come home," she said quietly, "and why aren't you wearing your clothes?" She then asked.

"I think I puked on them," Finn told her, "or maybe someone else did, I can't remember." He told her. "I'm going upstairs to find a suit; you want to help?"

"Sure," Bunty said as it looked like Arthur and Thomas were having a serious conversation that Bunty wanted no part in.