13

Irbis regained consciousness and found herself lying on a sofa in some strange to her room. There were some people, among who was the prince. Having seen that she opened her eyes, he ordered do give her a glass of water.

"Are you fine?" he asked.

"I heard what had happened to others, so I think I am quite fine."

"It is just magnificent! Nobody would ever pass through everything. They all used to surrender in the first room," said one of the gentlemen.

"Yes, it is a miracle..." said the fool rushing to sit on the floor at the sofa. "You know, miss, when you entered there these most gentle-like men bet how quickly you would surrender, how loud you would scream and in what way you would panic. Why, gentlemen, you are confused?!" he laughed looking at the lowered physiognomies. "I told you, that such people act contrary to all principles of logic! And all of you still were continuing staking... And some of you would still refuse to admit your defeat even then when she was running in the fourth labyrinth. But now your money will be mine," he chuckled meanly. "Ah, miss, I am so grateful to you. You did well and beat all of them. To tell you the truth, miss, only I and the prince left our human faces. You may kiss both of us for it. Well, actually only me because he already has the one to kiss him..."

With these words he held up his face to her.

"Do you address all women for this?" the girl asked.

"Of course not! Only the prettiest..."

He again held up his face but at that moment the prince called him and with gestures ordered him to go away. The fool looked at him angrily and with the wrinkled face, went to the window turning to everyone with his back, crossed his arms on his chest and started stamping his foot.

"Don't mind if he bothers you," the prince said both strictly and gently.

"Of course, she should mind only you," the fool said still sanding in his position.

"Tobro!" the prince bellowed at him.

"Why so loud?"

"Speak no word."

"If I please..."

"You must be very tired," the prince again addressed the girl.

"To tell you the truth, I am, Your Highness."

"Tomorrow I would like to talk to you at 10 o'clock. I want to discuss many things with you. And now go and have sleep. Tobro! Will you ever stop it?!"

In fact, as soon as the prince started saying "Tomorrow I..." the fool began stamping with his heel loudly at almost each his word.

"What?" asked Tobro. "I spoke no word."

"Bring Miss Irbis to her room," the prince ordered the servant. "All of you are free," he said to other people. "And you, Tobro, go with me."

While the servant and Irbis were going along corridors everyone stopped and looked at her, the one that won the Sirvantame. But she paid no attention to all those glances. She looked in windows and saw that it already was dark. Some bold people tried to question her but the servant fortunately used to save her from it. At last they came to the point of destination where Nata greeted them with cheer. Irbis was glad to see her only also she was very tired. At last she was left alone and she peacefully fell asleep.

*

At ten minutes to ten the girl had already sat in the private prince's office. It looked rather modestly but with taste. There were no sculptures, gold decorations or anything of that sort. The plain and straight walls were papered with espaliers with a beautiful plant pattern. The furniture of dark timber covered with varnish too had the minimum of decorations but it was made well and looked very nobly. Only on the stony floor there lay a carpet from Eastonida and the upper parts of windows were made of stained glass, which gave the only chick to the room. It itself was light and spacious and quite suitable for working peacefully for the whole day. The windows were somehow united in one and occupied almost the entire wall. There was opened a sight of a beautiful peaceful courtyard. Under them was a long soft seat just perfect for having a rest. At the wall in front of the desk there were drawers and a large mirror hung over them. To the girl it seemed simple but very likely that it too was magic. Also there were soft chairs (in one of them Irbis sat) and in one corner there were cushions on the floor. Our heroine wondered what these were for but the answer soon came itself.

The door through which she entered opened and Tobro came in with several dogs. They cheerfully ran to greet her. All of them were different with sizes, colours and length of wool but they all were so sweet and cute. Irbis smiled to them all and started pattering them. They in answer showed their tongues and waved their tales. They all were such darlings that she started kissing them all in their muzzles.

Suddenly she saw that Tobro too crawled to her on all his four. It should have been admitted that though he was a jester and his way of clothing was rather funny in the girl's eyes he himself was rather attractive. He had beautiful silky wavy brown hair framing his oval and oblong face. His skin was soft and of an ivory colour. From under straight brows you could catch a piercing and pleasant look of kind-hearted eyes. To tell you the truth, there was more refinement then men's fortitude in his appearance. And yet it was full of charm, intelligence and even nobility. He always behaved with dignity and absolutely no vulgarism. Even when he sometimes talked such nonsense he did it without making faces and dashing from side to side around the room like a cheap actor. He used to say it with his ironical smile in such way as if he told an anecdote in high society. Funny but he managed to make people even after those things like him. Even then when he was in such position before the girl (a bit strange for a 35-year man) his expression of the face was very charming.

Irbis looked at him inquiringly.

"And me..." he said smiling.

She looked at him with a sarcastic smile.

"I here exercise dogs' rights. And besides you didn't kiss me then."

She shook her head with laughing and eventually kissed his forehead. He sighed as if a defeated one and gracefully fell on the carpet behind him. Some dogs came up to him and started looking whether he was alive or not. But suddenly one man came into the room.