part 10

we ran as fast as we could back to the ambulance. somewhere along the run, simon and i were separated, but quickly found each other again before we all gathered into the back of the ambulance.

"let's timothy this bitch!" simon smirked.

kate stepped on the gas and we drove off to the grocery store that simon worked at. she parked horribly in the middle of the lot and we all jumped out. the big letters in the front of the store flickered, illuminating us in an almost menacing way.

"come on," simon said, pulling me along and showing us where the pills were. everyone waited at the counter while simon went behind it, looking for the right medicine. he came back a few minutes later with a plethora of drugs.

"a few months ago," he said. "my brother timothy had an unfortunate experience in which he ingested too much of a certain substance. he was dead for two minutes."

i remember that. it was the gossip of the school. little timmy kalivoda overdosed. it almost made me wanna go back to simon, to see how he was. maybe if i did, the dominoes wouldn't have collapsed on us where we are now.

"but," simon continued, drumming his hands on the counter. "we got him back."

"kate," deena said. "it's time for your close-up."

kate solemnly nodded and went to grab the containers with simon. they whispered together to figure out the perfect concoction of pills for sam to take.

"okay, sam," simon noted. "you need to take these in order." he held his hand over a oddly vibrant pile; "pile one takes the edge off. you're gonna feel like you're being fucked by a unicorn." i gave him a confused look, but ignored the comment and watched him grab another pile; "pile two is gonna being your core temp way down. you may feel slightly sick." kate poured out more pills and arranged them into a third pile. "you need to take a five minute interval between pile two and pile three," simon said. "that's really important, okay? pile three brings you down and out, so you gotta take that take five, or else it's all gonna go to shit!"

kate picked up an epipen off of the side of the counter and looked it all around. "how many of these do we have?"

"tons. like a thousand," simon told her.

"wait, epipens?" deena asked, confused.

"epinephrine, also known as adrenaline. this is what brings her back! this is jesus!"

i scoffed and turned around to face sam, my back leaned against the counter. she looked at me and pressed her lips together.

"you can do this, alright?" i said to her, rubbing her shoulders with my hands. "look, i know we haven't talked in a while, and you're a fucking sunnyvaler—" sam grinned at that. "—but i know you. i know you're gonna be brave, and you're gonna save us."

i pulled her into a hug, squeezing her tightly in case this was our first and last embrace. after a few seconds, sam sighed and looked over to deena.

"so, how should we bring the killers here?"

"sam's already here," josh said. "won't they like... smell her?"

"but then they'd all go after her," i added. "she needs some time to get all of the pills. and like simon said, if she doesn't get that take five, it'll all go to shit."

"what do you suggest doing then?" kate asked.

"i know what they're saying," josh mumbled.

he went over to sam and held out his hand. she knew right away what was being asked. deena handed her brother a knife and he gently sliced sam's palm.