part 4

i pulled into the kalivoda's driveway. simon was on his way out, making eye contact with me as i turned off the car. i wiped away whatever tears remained and got out.

"you alright?" simon asked, zipping up his red sweatshirt and pulling the hood up.

"i think so," i replied.

it was freezing out. this fall had been unusually cold, but the fight i just had left my heart cold, too. i shivered and simon nodded his head towards the car.

"do you have heat?" he said.

"i try not to use it," i told him. "saves money."

"i see."

he walked up next to me and looked down at my face. luckily, he couldn't tell i've been crying in this light. he gave me a playful punch on my shoulder and smiled.

"i was just heading out to kate's," simon said, walking past me. "she's babysitting tonight."

"yeah, you told me," i said.

he walked down the driveway for a bit, before turning back and looking at me.

"you coming, y/n?" he shouted.

"right, yeah, hold on." i slipped on my sweater and followed after him.

we walked over to the house where kate was babysitting at. it wasn't a very far walk, maybe a few blocks or so. simon knocked on the door and a couple seconds later, kate opened it.

"si—" she immediately paused when she saw me. "—mon and y/n apparently!"

"i hope you don't mind that i invited them," simon asked, fidgeting with his rings.

"oh, not at all," kate said, opening the door and letting us in. "i haven't talked to them in forever. we should catch up."

simon jumped down onto the couch and turned on the tv. he was oddly interested in the shark channel that was playing, and leaned in to watch it more intently.

"uh, no you don't," kate said to him, dropping a laundry basket in front of him. "i need this finished by tonight. get to sorting."

i snickered and sat down next to simon. he groaned and stuck up his middle finger to kate's back. i put my feet up on the coffee table and watched simon's eyes widen as he picked up a pair of panties.

"god, you're such a perv," i laughed, snatching the pair away from him and folding it on my side of the table.

the laundry situation didn't last long. first, simon stopped sorting to watch the sharks, and then somehow i started to watch them, too.

"what happened to sorting this?" kate asked, standing in front of the tv. "lights and darks, and watch for stray socks."

"remind me what's in it for me again," simon asked.

"yeah, and me, too," i joked.

kate looked at us and rolled her eyes. "nope," she said with a smile.

simon sighed and hopped off of the couch, unzipping his sweatshirt. i noticed the shirt he had on underneath was the same one that sam threw up on.

"jesus," kate said, disgusted. "are you still wearing the same clothes from last night? did you wear that to the grocery store?"

"wait, what the hell?" i said, backing away from simon. "you fucking touched me with that on?"

kate gave me a weird glance but ignored my comment.

"well, i had to work a double shift," simon explained. "and this was all i had in the car. so, yes. yes i am."

"dude," i whispered, shaking my head at simon.