part 6

kate, simon, josh, and i got out of the back of the ambulance to stretch. simon was pacing and seemed to be hyperventilating.

"what's wrong, bud?" i asked, lightly kicking his thigh.

"we should not be this close to the police station if we're in a stolen ambulance," he said.

"well, that's the whole point," kate said. "we're hiding in plain sight."

"yeah, just like bundy," josh muttered.

i watched kate and simon's expressions change to confusion as they looked over at josh. i, myself, was also confused on why he would bring a murderer up. josh looked back at us and shook his head.

"ted bundy, when he was stalking his victims, i mean," he tried to explain

"okay, but what does ted bundy have to do with an ambulance, though," i said.

"yeah, and didn't he get caught?" kate asked.

"well, no," josh said, and then quickly switched over. "well, yeah, but—"

"alright, alright, figure this out," simon interrupted. "i'm gonna go take a leak."

"oh, yes," i sarcastically told him. "we totally needed to know that. tell us how it went when you come back!"

kate and josh smiled at my remark and simon mocked me as he backed away, flipping me off before he turned around. i snickered.

"so, why do you know so much about killers?" kate asked josh.

"yeah, are you like... planning to become one, or...?" i said.

josh ignored my comment and shrugged. "know thy enemy, right?"

kate nodded and then smiled. "you hang onto any of that candy?" she asked.

"yeah."

josh grabbed a candy bar from his jacket pocket and handed it to kate. she smiled at him and they looked in each other's eyes for a few seconds. i groaned and grabbed both of their shoulders.

"god, lovebirds," i said loudly, jumping out of the ambulance and landing with a small grunt. "just kiss already. i'm gonna go find simon and not be a third wheel, okay?"

i walked around the station in the direction simon went and prayed i wouldn't turn the corner to see him pissing. if it wasn't for the dimly lit street lamps placed seemingly miles apart, i wouldn't be able to find shit.

"yo, simon!" i shouted. "where'd you go?"

i heard a thud and looked down the street to see two figures fighting in the middle of the road. i squinted my eyes and slowly walked closer. i could see now that simon was thrashing around on the concrete and there was a girl straddling him. she held something silver in her hand and as i neared, i realized it was a razor.

"oh, shit. oh, shit. oh, shit," i muttered to myself as i ran back to the ambulance.

deena and sam were back, and everyone was looking down at something that was in deena's hand. i came up to the group and wheezed, trying to catch my breath.

"y/n?" deena said. my eye caught on what she was holding.

"is that... a gun?" i panted.

"yeah, so we'll be protected," she responded. "wait, where the hell is simon?"

"that's why... i came... back," i rasped. "you know... i think i have... asthma... or something—"

"why did you come back?" kate said.