"King Alder isn't going to hurt you," Ellis said. "Neither of you."

"I agree, because neither of us is staying here."

"You should. The both of you. Living on the run is no life at all."

Jade shook her head. "You know nothing about our lives. We're not abandoning our father."

"I am," Ryleigh said. She rose from her seat and reached for Jade, who jerked away. "Jade, please. You have to understand –"

"He's our alpha," Jade said, blinking. Her complexion had lost its colour. "He's our father. You need to come home."

"Our home died fourteen years ago."

"We're a family."

"Family is free. We're not free. We're his subjects, Jade. And I'm done following."

"You can't make her go," Julie said, snapping Jade's gaze towards her.

"I can't? If I wanted, I could not only make her, but I could make her want to go. Just because I choose not to use my powers against my sister doesn't mean I can't, and you need to be careful how you address me."

"And you need to be careful how you address her," Ellis said, standing up. "This is my pack, and I decide who stays and who goes."

Jade pinched the bridge of her nose between her thumb and forefinger and shook her head. Without a word, she walked out of the room.

"Where is she going?" Julie asked.

Ryleigh's shoulders sagged and she released a slow breath. "People hurt her head. She wants to finish the conversation outside."

"Is she going to force you to leave?" Conall asked.

"No. But my father might." She sucked her teeth. "I'll see what I can do."

"If you refuse to go, is your father going to come here?" Ellis asked. "Do I need to prepare my army?"

Ryleigh shook her head. "I won't let it get that far. I'm going to try and buy some time so I can reject Austin before I go, and then I'll give my father what he wants."

"But you don't want to go," Julie said.

"The past fourteen years, 'want' hasn't mattered. It doesn't matter now. Excuse me, please." She turned and headed outside. Jade was sitting on the lowest of the steps leading to the mansion. Ryleigh set herself down beside her. Pack members were walking around again. Ellis had reassured them that the intruder didn't pose an imminent threat.

"There's hundreds of them close enough for me to hear," Jade said, pressing her fingers against her temples.

"It took me a while to figure out how to tune out everybody's memories. You'll get the hang of it."

"I don't need to. We'll be out of here soon." She looked up at Ryleigh. "I do understand, you know. I understand why you ran and why you don't want to come back. You know I understand, right?"

Ryleigh nodded.

"It's just that we don't have that luxury. He expects me to check in with him tonight. I'll have to tell him something."

"So tell him the truth. Tell him I don't want to come home."

"He'll come to get you personally."

"Not if you tell him you can change my mind."

"Can I?"

Ryleigh shrugged. "Maybe."

They both lapsed into silence, looking around them. 

"Will you show me?" Jade asked at length. "I want to know everything."

Without hesitation, Ryleigh enclosed Jade's offered hand in both of hers. She closed her eyes and let all her recent memories flow into Jade. They flashed fast, but Jade was used to distinguishing between them.

At last Ryleigh let go, and Jade pushed a slow breath through her mouth. A lot had happened the past two months – too much.

"I don't get it," Jade said. "Austin doesn't seem all that great. Handsome, but if that's his only quality, I wouldn't settle for it. But it's a good thing. If he's not that remarkable, it'll be easier to forget him."

"J, Austin's not the thing keeping me away from home. When I left, I didn't even know he existed. I ran away because I can no longer follow Father. I don't believe in the cause anymore."

"You never really did."

"Do you?" Ryleigh looked sideways, at Jade's stern features. Loyalty had always been vital to both sisters, but never in the same way. For Ryleigh, loyalty had to be earned. For Jade, it was a given.

"The cause is all we have."

Ryleigh shook her head. "We have each other."

"Father knows what he's doing. It's important."

"We're important too."

Jade pressed her lips together and remained silent.

"Do you remember that time we snuck out and went into town, and you panicked and accidentally mind-controlled a bunch of humans?"

"Yes. And you manipulated everyone to forget all about it. I don't know what that has to do with anything, but yes, I remember."

"And do you remember that time you snuck off on your own and got into a fight with a rogue? And your powers weren't developed enough to stop him?"

"And you followed me and saved my life. I remember."

"And do you remember –"

"I remember everything, Ry. What are you saying? I make mistakes and you fix them?"

"No. I'm saying I have your back, and I'm asking you to have mine." 

__________

A/N: And just like that, we are nearing the end of book one. One more chapter and then it'll be over [insert gasp here]. But fear not - there will be three more books to follow, and lots and lots of drama. But before we get there, stay tuned for the last chapter ;) 

Thanks for reading!