The darker wolf was smaller, but no less fierce. Ryleigh landed on top of her and bared her teeth, lowering her head to that of the other wolf, who for the moment lied growling beneath her, throwing her legs around in an attempt to wiggle out from underneath her.

"If she's a mind-controller, why not just control Ryleigh?" Conall asked, eyes narrowed. If he was expecting an answer, he was asking the wrong people. None of them had a clue what was going on.

The reddish wolf managed to get a leg under Ryleigh and kicked hard. Ryleigh yelped and toppled off her. She sprung right back to her feet as the other she-wolf attacked. Their jaws connected with a sickening clash, sharp teeth flashing in the morning light. Growls and roars emanated from the both of them – a crude harmony.

"Are you seeing what I'm seeing?" Conall said, rubbing a hand over his chin. "They're not actually injuring each other."

The others did see it. They didn't get it, but they saw it. Apart from a few bruises and scratches neither of the wolves had sustained any injuries, which – considering their aggression – was odd.

"They must know each other," Julie said.

The wolves broke apart. They walked around each other, snapping their jaws. It was a well-choreographed dance: whenever one moved forwards, the other darted away. They seemed to know exactly what the other was going to do before they did it. The auburn wolf jumped suddenly, front paws catching around Ryleigh's throat and forcing her to the ground.

Austin twitched, eager to get in there, but Ellis was still restraining him.

The smaller wolf had clambered on top of Ryleigh, saliva dripping from bared teeth. Ryleigh threw her head up, head-butting her adversary full in the face. The wolf grunted and was momentarily disoriented – an opportunity Ryleigh took to slip out from under her and jump on top of her instead. The both of them went down in a tangle of paws. It was hard to tell where one wolf ended and the other began, let alone who was winning.

After a few seconds, Ryleigh emerged on top, the other wolf beneath her. She opened her jaws around the auburn wolf's neck, lips curling threateningly. The wolf folded her ears back and slumped her posture. For a moment, they stood as frozen. Then Ryleigh stepped away, allowing the other wolf to stumble back to her feet.

They stood quietly in front of each other, unmoving. The inner circle – but really, the entire pack – watched in anxious anticipation of the conclusion.

A ripple jerked through Ryleigh's body and she shifted back. She up-righted herself, naked body on full display. The other wolf followed suit. Her auburn fur gave way to pale skin, reddish-brown hair cascading down her back in waves. She was small. When she got up from her crouched position, she reached little higher than Ryleigh's chin.

The two women stood motionless across from each other, their eyes locked as though they had moved from a physical fight to a battle of wills.

"What's happening?" Julie asked – another question no one could answer.

A tremor travelled through Ryleigh's shoulders, then another, then her whole body started to shake. She was laughing. A grin broke out on the face of the other woman, and whatever the onlookers had expected, it certainly wasn't this.

The smaller woman threw her arms around Ryleigh's neck and Ryleigh reciprocated the gesture, wrapping her arms around her. When they pulled away, Ryleigh kept an arm draped around the other woman's shoulder. They were talking in hushed tones, and then – for the first time since the fight had started – Ryleigh looked back at the people standing in front of the mansion. She nodded towards them, saying something to her opponent-turned-ally. Next, they both stared moving in their direction.

"Sorry about that," Ryleigh said when she got close enough to speak without having to shout. They started up the steps leading up to the house.

"Fancy," the woman said to Ryleigh, glancing at the mansion with her lips pulled into an appreciative pout. They halted in front of the others, and the woman let her eyes flit over each of them, taking a few seconds to scrutinise them. Her eyes came to rest on Ellis. "You can tell your pack to come out of hiding now, Alpha. If I wanted to hurt them, I would've done it already."

This, of course, was little reassuring and Ellis didn't respond.

"What's going on, Ryleigh?" Austin asked, his voice low. He wasn't sure he even wanted to know.

"Right," Ryleigh said, slipping her arm from the woman's shoulder. She glanced from the woman to the people in front of her and back. She nodded to Austin. "Jade, this is Austin, my mate."

The woman – Jade – let her eyes travel over him again, a small smirk playing at one corner of her lips. She said nothing, and Ryleigh turned to Austin again.

"Austin, this is Jade, my –" Her brows twitched and she cast her gaze down. "My sister."

_______

A/N: I guess Ryleigh's sister didn't die after all - just another lie to add to the pile. When o when will we get the full truth, if ever? Who knows - apart from me, of course. But worry not. There's three chapters left, and truth bombs will be dropped. 

Any first impressions of Jade? She'll be important ;) 

Thanks for reading!