twelve

"Excuse me miss wake up!"

I'm awoken suddenly by yelling. I sit up quickly and instantly regret it, holding my head as it aches.

"Ahh shit, where am I?" I look around and notice I'm laying on the infamous white couch. Sitting next to me is Nat. "Natalie? What's wrong?"

I can see her expression and she looks as confused as I am.

"Care to tell me why you and David are trending on the internet as a couple?" She holds her phone in her hand and I squint my eyes.

"What are you talking about?" I sit up all the way and she hands her phone for me to look at.

I see a video from the night at the college. Where David had told the big guy fighting Dom that I was his girlfriend and to leave me alone.

"I told him that people were recording when he said that." I said, groaning.

"What's going on?" She asks. "It's not true is it?"

"No way!" I reply. "That guy was being a dick! David was just trying to help me and clean up Dom's mess at the same time."

"That's not something he would ever do." She says.

"Help other people?" I raise an eyebrow and chuckle.

"No." She chuckles too. "Of course he would do that. I just mean put himself out there like that."

She looks up at me and squints her eyes.

"What?" I wave my hand in front of her face.

"I think he has some sort of soft spot for you." She says.

"I just thinking he was trying to help me and stay out of trouble." I reply. "We barely know each other."

"Everyone always uses the whole 'we barely know each other' excuse." She says. "You guys are a lot alike in more ways than you probably think."

I lay back down on the couch and close my eyes. This was definitely not how I wanted to wake up.

"Where is everyone?" I ask, changing the subject nor opening my eyes.

"Went home." She says. "I think Zane and Jason are still here though."

"Hmm." Is my only response. I open my eyes and look at her, she's staring at her phone.

"Looking at the tweets won't make the situation better." I chuckle.

"I just wanna see what people are saying." She smiles. "People kinda love it."

"No no no." I shake my head. "Tell them to not love it."

"Too late." She looks up at me. "Go home, you look like shit."

"Gee thanks." I push her shoulder playfully. "I didn't even drink that much."

"Maybe it was when you guys ran around in the sprinklers for like two hours." She raises an eyebrow.

"I'm a kid at heart! Don't judge!" I stand up and stretch my arms. I looked around the house and it was a mess.

"Are you sure you don't need help cleaning up?" I ask.

"Nah." She says, standing up as well. "I hired some people to come help clean up. Besides, you helped set up."

I nod my head in agreement. Happy that I got out of helping because I really really didn't want to.

I see my bag sitting on the counter in the kitchen.

"Thanks for a really fun time." I say, giving her a hug and then grabbing my bag. "See you soon?"

"Of course." She waves as I walk out of the house and to my car.

——————————————

"There she is." I hear Emma's voice as I walk into the house. "A zombie brought back from the dead."

She's walking towards the front door from the kitchen.

"Do I really look that bad?" I try fixing my hair for the 100th time.

"No." She laughs. "How was the party?"

"It was a lot of fun." I reply. "Wish you could've been there."

"Yeah well I had a lot of fun with the cats so I think I did alright." She says sarcastically, taking a sip of her iced coffee. "However-"

"Oh I know what you're going to say." I groan and walk past her towards the kitchen.

"What am I going to say?" She asks, following me.

"The whole David and I trending, couple, party, whatever thingy." I spit out a bunch of random words that pretty much sum up the situation.

"Yeah ok I guess you did know what I was going to say." She chuckles. "What is that all about?"

I sit down on one of the barstools and sigh. I tell her everything from that night and the whole situation leading up and after it.

"So you guys aren't actually together?" She asks.

"No we're not." I reply.

"Dang I was kinda rooting for it." She takes another sip of her coffee, shrugging her shoulders.

"Huh??" My eyes widen. "Why??"

"I don't know I was just reading what people were saying and it kinda makes sense."

"Wouldn't it make more sense if we were just friends?" I shake my head in confusion.

"Have you even looked online at it all?"

I shake my head. "I don't know if I want to."

"You should, it's..." She turns around to go upstairs. "Interesting."

She walks away and I'm left sitting there in complete silence, wondering what I'm going to do.

I glance over at my phone sitting on the counter. Maybe she's right, maybe I should read what people are saying.

But I don't want to dive into something that's not real and honestly kinda weird.

Fuck it, what's the harm. I grab my phone and open up twitter first, that's where all the juicy stuff is.

"Oh shit."