Anya & Aahil

My cheeks are furiously hot as I run down the flight of stairs and burst out of the apartment complex. I should’ve never come. I feel like nothing but an intruder. Maya must hate me, she must’ve thought I was there to have sex with Jonathan.

Breaths out of control, I lean against a wall and try to decide what to do.

“Anya?” A familiar voice calls out and I look around like an idiot for too long before I find Aahil sitting in his car.

“Hi? What are you doing here?” I begin to walk to him with my wobbly knees. As if everything wasn’t bad enough, I had to run into my BFF/biggest crush I’ve ever had right after. Once I’m close, he unlocks the door so I can get in. I do just that, only to be hit in the face with Maya’s perfume.

I turn to him, horrified. “Were you and Maya...?”

He frowns deeply. I take a second to admire how sharp his jaw looks in low light “What? No! I dropped her back from the bar. I heard her and Jon were having some trouble so I stayed back. Just in case.”

“Oh.” I say. And then frown. “Well, everything’s okay now. They’ve made up.”

And probably much more. I don’t want to think about Maya right now. Not when I feel so awkward and embarrassed.

Aahil cocks his head toward me. “Were you helping with that?”

I cough out a laugh. “God, no. I don’t think Maya ever wants to see me again. I think I truly gave her the impression that I’m sleeping with Jonathan.”

He takes a moment before speaking. “Are you?”

I turn sharply to him. “Why would you ask me that?”

Aahil leans back, pulling his t-shirt tighter across his chest. He looks...like he’s on substance. Not that I’d recognise the smell of weed. “He had a thing for you before, you know that, don’t you?” 

“Maybe he did.” I say, avoiding eye contact. If Aahil ever finds out how I actually feel about him, he will literally never talk to me again. “But it’s gone now.”

He quirks his mouth. “Is that disappointment I hear?”

It is, but not for what he’s thinking. Not even close. “I didn’t like him like that.”

Silence fills the car and it just makes me sweat even more. I decide to unzip my jacket and take it off.

Underneath, I’m wearing nothing but a lacy pink bralette.

But then again, I could stand naked in front of Aahil and he still won’t notice. He’s never really had an eye for me anyway.

“What are you doing?” I freeze at his angry tone. His eyes are flitting across my chest, my stomach and my jeans-clad thighs.

“I was feeling hot.” I say in a small voice, reaching for my jacket again.

His hand grips mine to stop it and puts it back in my lap. A tiny tremor goes down my back at the contact but I stay quiet.

“I’m sorry, it just surprised me. You’re wearing just a bra.” He’s definitely high. He has to be. Because the way he’s looking at me right now, it’s never happened before. I don’t ever want him to stop.

He’s high.

I break eye contact and look straight ahead. “It’s a bralette. This functions as a shirt.”

“I don’t know about all that.” He grumbles. “All I know is you look fucking amazing in that.”

I take a deep breath, eyes screwed shut. He’s not himself right now. He’s seeing a cute girl and reacting to it. Ask him to drive you back to your apartment and tell him to go home.