Chapter 31

Sophie's POV

          Sophie's eyes cracked open, after her dreamless dark sleep. She was almost amazed that it had been a month already. She was prepared for another dose of the sorophine, she was expecting to not see her darling daughter ever again, or Keefe.

She opened her eyes expecting to see the monstrous Fintan.

Instead, she saw him.

Keefe Sencen.

"Keefe?" She whispered, not believing that he was there. She felt his hand on hers, holding it like it was the saving grace of their world.

"Sophie?" He sobbed hugging her so fiercely that she literally thought he was going to suffocate her.

She embraced him, gasping, "Is this real? Please tell me this is real." She whispered also hugging Keefe with her unstrapped arms.

"Yep, Foster. This is definitely real." Keefe laughed, pulling back with tears in his eyes.

Sophie tried to sit up, but Keefe gently held her down. "Woah, careful. Dex is trying to take off your ability restrictor."

Sophie whirled her eyes up to see a smiling Dex fiddling with her crown of pain. "Hi."

Dex laughed, "Hey there, Sophie. I've almost got this off. Then you can be free."

She sighed. "Great. Free of the crown of pain." She smiled staring at Keefe, clutching his hand so tight, she didn't ever want to let go again.

"Where's everyone else?" She asked almost too afraid to hear the answer.

"They're getting Calla from my mother." He said his whole demeanour immediately darkening. "She should've been locked up long ago, Sophie. I'm so sorry. She stole your daughter." He looked away towards the humongous boulder, Sophie just noticed, as well as to the banging on the rock.

Sophie reached up to his chin and gently turned his head to look at her. "Keefe. It's not your fault. And Calla is our child. Not just mine. And we both know that." She said sternly, scolding him like a child.

Keefe looked at her with wide eyes and just nodded and gave her his signature smirk.

"And what about the banging and crashing, coming from that boulder?" Sophie pointed to the rock that was in question.

"Oh, that was Arlo's work. He's a conjurer, and they were going to get into the room. So, boom, big boulder was the solution." Keefe explained, pointing to Arlo who was hiding behind Dex.

"Arlo, you actually listened to my motivational speech?  Wow, I was not expecting that." Sophie asked, surprised when Arlo nodded. Sophie smiled at him. "Thank you. Thank you so much." A tear slid down her cheek, as did Arlo's.

He walked over to Sophie when she motioned him over. And she hugged him and thanked him again.

Unfortunately, that's when they all heard a very loud boom, and then a crack followed.

They all looked at the boulder which now held a large crack down the centre of it. The white room now had a haze of fog/dust from the boulder.

"Um, Dex I think you need to hurry up, so Foster can teleport us out of here." Keefe looked frantically to Dex who now had a bead of seat slipping from his forehead.

"I'm almost done, just let me-" Sophie heard a couple clicks and beeps, "done!" Sophie felt her crown of pain slip from her head and her mind immediately cleared from its fogginess. She was able to think straight. She quickly sat up, which was a dumb idea, due to the dizziness.

"Okay, let's go." Sophie's voice was raspy, because she had had no water, only supplements when she was down under.

"Wait a sec." Arlo stopped her from standing up, he conjured a bottle of youth and handed it to Sophie. "Elwin said to make you take 2 of these before you do anything." He shoved them into her hands and she quickly chugged them.

"Am I good to go, doctor Arlo?" She joked and he laughed and nodded. "Okay, everyone make a human chain." They all linked hands, as she stood up.

That's when Sohpie heard the loudest noise she had ever heard in her life. She frantically looked over to see that the boulder had been blown into pieces.

Trix was standing there with the Neverseens new psionipath, but before they could entrap them in a shield, Sophie teleported them.

They all popped into the dark space in between places. Arlo was really freaking out, "I'll teleport up to the main room. I doubt anyone is going to be there. Dex and Keefe nodded while Arlo was yelling about how the blackness was crazy.

Sophie concentrated on the image of the main room she was first brought to with Calla. They popped into the room, Arlo breathing heavily.

Sophie was facing Keefe when she noticed him looking in the distance, his eyes wide.

"What? What is it?"

"Sophie, don't turn around, I-" Before he could finish Sophie whirled around, and she was met with the worst sight she had ever seen in her life.

Gisela was holding a knife over Calla's throat, while Fitz, Bronte, Biana, Tam and Linh surrounded her.

Gisela, noticed them and gave Sophie a cruel smile. "Finally, the woman of the day has arrived. We've been expecting you."