I don't understand him. He actually acts like he is dependent to Richard but I know he isn't. Maybe he just cares about him, but is he really that blind to see that if Richard gets any chance, he will pick the girl over him? He is always the second choice, friends always come second. And this is why I have no friends – I can't bare being the second, you know.

First four lessons go without any events. I sleep most of the time, teachers' voices echoing in my head but sound like Chinese. I'll probably need them in upcoming exams but who cares? I will fail anyway. No one bothers me whatsoever, and I feel very worst due to the flu. Sleeping at a bench in freezing cold was one of the stupidest ideas I've ever had but there is no turning back so I need to find a way to get better before my enemies get the advantage to take me down.

Well, as I go to dining hall and take my tray, I gaze at today's meal. Not that I'll taste them but food means everything. A soup I don't know the name of, cold pasta and some meat stuff. Well, nothing delicious but I need to eat something to stay alive nonetheless.

I drop the tray on the nearest table, sitting – throwing myself – on the chair and heaving a deep sigh. I start to eat soup but as expected, I don't taste anything at all. There is something I've never expected though – I take my words back – someone bothers me. Right here, at lunch.

And it bothers me even more that the fact he is Calvin.

He sits beside me with his tray and starts eating as if it is a usual thing – as if we are friends.

I look around to see if there is no available tables around but on the contrary, everywhere is almost empty. "Why are you here?" I ask sourly.

He looks up at me, with a ghost of smile. "Eating."

"Ha ha." I roll my eyes. "You know what I mean, Cally Puppy."

"Eating alone is boring, you know," he says. "And well, you are the only person I know here."

"Is it true?" I snap. He looks at me questioningly. "Seriously, am I the only person you know here right now?"

He peers around and turns at me again. "Yes."

"It doesn't change anything." I reply. "I can't eat because of you. Pretend you don't know me either because till yesterday, you didn't."

"But I do now."

"Oh, smart ass, delete yesterday from your precious memory then."

"Why are you so aggressive?" He asks instead. "You were so cool yesterday."

"You helped me – I am not a dick." He opens his mouth but I continue, cutting him off. "I wasn't a dick yesterday, normally I am."

He lets out a breathy laugh. Then, his face turns serious – his lips pressing into a straight line and his hands still on the table but there is something that bothers me – the light in his eyes. He looks at me like he beat me which is not possible. "You said something yesterday."

"What?" I say dully. I said nothing important yesterday.

"That you owe me." Did I say that? Oh.

"So what?"

"Then, you have to do whatever I want."

"I said I owe you, I didn't say now oh almighty I'm your slave."

He laughs again – what is so funny? His eyes close when he laughs, I realise, each time. I don't know why I pay attention but my brain notes that. "Since you owe me, you have to pay it."

"I do now." I say. "I am helping you with your loneliness. Keeping you company. This is the same thing." Then, I think it is stupid. Why am I even bothering to explain myself? I don't owe him anything – he insisted to help me – he literally begged. "I don't owe you, Gilmore. You were just dying to help me and I couldn't break your heart, okay. I don't know why you are trying fucking much to get to me but don't. I don't want to interact with you or be friends or listen to your stupid secrets. I think you realised you are gonna lose Richard and you are seeking another friend. But it is not me. Never."

"You really think I'm his puppy." He says, bemused.

"Why not? You never go against him, you are going everywhere he wants you to, you are always there for him although he isn't for you. Isn't it what you told me yesterday? What does this make you if not a puppy?"

"A friend."

"Friend, my ass." I scoff. "He doesn't care about you, Mr. I-am-the-best-friend. He'll dump you whenever he gets a chance. I know Ric better than you'd ever known, okay?"

"How?" He inquires angrily. "How can you know someone you only fight better than I do?"

"Because sometimes you get to know the person better in fights." I yell. "Because they show their real faces." I know if I go further, I'll tell him why I punched Richard at first – but I stop myself.

He looks down, his jaw tight and I can tell he is really pissed at me. Still, he needs to hear the truth – I'm making him a favor. I'm not just helping him – I'm saving him. When he looks up again, his expression softens and he barely smiles at me. "Thank you."

"Huh?" This guy is fucking nice for this universe.

"You care about me." He says with a sideway smile.

"What? Fuck you, I don't."

He laughs. "You are nervous – which means you do."

"Why would I care about you? I don't care about you – but of course," I add with a sneaky grin. "If it makes you sleep at night, let it be babe." I laugh.

He frowns at me. "Of course not. Why would I think about you at night?"

"I don't know." I murmur and wink at him.

He groans, his cheeks flushed and I laugh at his expression. "I – I'm..." He looks at me puzzled. "going."

"Dream about me, babe!" I yell after him. God, I'm a genius.

***