Chapter 15

Part 6: Scarlet

   I can finally let go of everything and just have fun with my friends, I thought, sitting between Maddie and Tori at Santa Fe that night. The friends who were sitting around the table were, Maddie, Tori, Louise, Natalie, Jade, and of course Jetta and Addison. I was not wanting to think of anything. I had my friends all around me, and all I wanted to think about was here and now.

   But unfortunately, that didn't work. There was still the deep dark secret that no one had figured out. I could tell over the past several days that Jetta and Tori were beginning to figure everything out. I wouldn't let them figure it out, though.

   They didn't need to. It would cause trouble for everyone close to me. I looked around at my friends, and lastly at Jetta. No, nobody could figure anything out.

   Even though Jetta and Tori had solved the puzzle, I wasn't going to give them the last piece, whatever I did. After everyone was done with their food, we all decided to split into groups of four and walk around the mall. Me, Jetta, Tori, and Louise would walk together, while Addison, Natalie, Maddie, and Jade walked together. Walking into all the stores, I realized that the others had their money, but I had left mine in the car.

   "Hey, I'm going to get my purse out of the car," I said, turning to go outside. "Do you want one of us to go with you?" Jetta asked. "No, I'll be fine," I replied, continuing to go outside. Jetta had parked behind the mall, and there was barely any light, which made it hard to see.

   "Nice going, Jet." I mumbled, opening the passenger door. Going through the whole car several times, I realized my purse was no longer in there. Maybe I had brought it in and just left it in the restaurant. Walking back in, I couldn't help but feel like someone was watching me.

   When I got back into Santa Fe, I checked all around the table we'd all been sitting at. My purse was nowhere to be found. I then decided to go look in the car again. Whether that would help or not, I didn't know.

   As I walked outside again, I felt like it was darker than before, even though it had only been a few minutes. Bending down to look for my purse, I still felt like I was being watched. But when I stood up and looked around, no one was there. 

   After I had looked for a few more minutes, I decided my purse was gone. Turning around, I heard footsteps from behind me. When I spun around, I saw somebody was leaning against the car. Jetta. When I took a closer look, I saw that she was holding something. It was my purse.

   "Looking for something?" she said. I stared at my friend in shock. "W-why did you take it?" I stammered. That's when Jetta pulled out a gun. "Get in the car. Don't scream, or this gun is going to be the last thing you ever hear." she threatened. I continued to stand there, my eyes wide. What was happening?