"Tetsuo certainly enjoys his debates more than the average person." She says before pursing her lips together, as if regretting that she'd said such a thing.

There's a bit of an understatement. Why is she so afraid to say what she actually thinks? Surely it's not a crime to have an opinion about your sister's...

Argh. I had no problem addressing such a thing before, but now I feel sick to my stomach just thinking about it. Akira's boyfriend is my boss. What are the chances?!

"Yeah, him and Akira really go at it when it comes to that kind of thing. Seems like it gets out of hand a lot more than it should." I reply.

"Their issue is that they refuse to agree on anything." Lilly says , followed by a short "ah" as she realizes what just escaped her mouth.

I'd like to hop on that, but I know it's nothing. It's plain as day that Lilly has issue with Tetsuo -- I just need to find out what it is. It may be rude and intrusive curiosity, but it's curiosity nonetheless.

"That's the feeling I was getting as well, to be honest. The two of you don't seem to get along either." I comment.

A short silence takes hold of the conversation before Lilly returns with "it would seem so." She doesn't add anything else, content to let our talk die off, for some reason. It isn't until we walk past the Shanghai that anything else is said.

"Ah, hey, I didn't know they were open this late." I note, trying to think of something to lead back into the previous exchange.

"Y-Yeah." Hanako replies.

The western-themed building is vacant except for a young librarian sitting at the counter, leaning heavily against her arms as she nods off.

"Think we should go say hi to Yuuko? We did skip on dessert at the restaurant, after all." I ask.

Lilly giggles at the thought, but shakes her head as she declines the offer. "It's been quite a long day already. I do hope you can forgive my selfishness."

Damn. I can't say I blame her though, considering what her schedule has been like. Waking up early in the morning to catch a plane, being unable to sleep through the entire flight, and then having to take rides in and out of the city to have dinner with some friends? I'm sure anyone would be tired at that point.

I shrug to Hanako and give a curt "fair enough" to Lilly before being tugged back into the previous pace. Thanks to the streets around us being devoid of other vehicles, it takes no time at all to cross the road and begin the trek up to the school on the hill.

There has to be some way to break up this silence.

"So, Lilly, what was it like over in Scotland?" I ask.

"It was very nice, although quite warm this time of year." Lilly responds, lightening up at the question.

"Did you enjoy seeing your family again?"

She flashes a gentle smile before answering with "yes, I enjoyed meeting with my family for the first time in a few years. Things certainly haven't changed between Mother and Father."

"That's always great. Did you and Akira do anything while you were there?"

"Ah, yes, we had quite a lot to do. Our house in Inverness is only a short distance from the beach, so Akira and I spent some time there." She replies. "There was no shortage when it came to shopping malls, and my sister didn't seem too... financially worried for the time being."

She stops to think for a second before adding "I should have bought some souvenirs for you two" with a pout.

"You don't have to worry about it." I reply, chuckling, which is then followed by a flustered Hanako with "y-you didn't have to..."