Chapter 2-Practice Makes Permanant

“I’m going to my practice!” Zuko yelled out to the silent house. No one responded as usual. 

He then began driving to Aang’s house. Aang didn’t live with his parents, they left him when he was a baby to live another life. His parental figure, Gyatso, loved hearing his band practice, and always brought them snacks.

“You’re late.” Aang said as Zuko stepped out of the car in his driveway, just before walking him in.

“I know.” Zuko replied in a sarcastic annoyed tone.

“Come on.” Aang gestured, walking Zuko down to his basement, where the rest of the group already was. His basement was fully furnished, and it had everything a band needed to practice, due to Gyatso’s fatherly support.

“Hey guys.” Zuko waved as he walked down the stairs.

“We need a setlist.” Sokka bursted. He had been waiting to make the comment until everyone was there.

“We need a lead singer.” Katara responded. “And for the last time Aang, you can’t be lead. Your singing is fine, but we need someone who’s main thing is just singing.” She continued before Aang had the chance to interject

“Wow.” Aang said sarcastically.

“You can still sing lead in some songs, but not all of them. We need someone who is just our lead singer, and can sub out your spot when you're singing lead.” Suki commented.

“Fine.” Aang said, rolling his eyes mockingly.

“I actually think I may have found our singer.” Zuko said in a tone that attempted to relieve the rest of the group.

“Who?” Toph asked, spinning her drumsticks.

“Mai.”

“Really? I thought she was in Azula’s group.” Aang said, questioning Zuko’s statement.

“What, she sings, and I asked if it’s something she may be interested in. She also expressed to me how hesitant she was to be in Azula’s group.”

“Come on, this is Azula. If she wants Mai to join her group, Mai is joining her group, whether she wants to or not.” Sokka expressed. “We’ve all been manipulated by her at least once.”

“Good point,” Zuko shrugged, “but she seemed like she may be interested in our band.”

“We should hold auditions after school Monday.” Sokka said, being the first to come up with the obvious idea. “I’ll make the flyers over the weekend.”

“Good idea.” Aang complimented.

“Do you guys wanna actually start practice?” Katara said annoyed.

“Oh yeah, what song?” Toph asked.

“How about Tainted Love?” Zuko requested. It was his favorite song for him to sing.

“I guess.” Toph sighed.

They all got out their music, with the exception of Toph of course, and began to play the opening.

“Sometimes I feel I’ve got to, run away, I’ve got to, get away from the pain you drive into the heart of me.” He sang.

After they’d finished the song, Gyatso came down with some snacks.

"Brownies or juice for anyone?” He asked, walking down the stairs with a tray of brownie and juice pouches.

“Thank you, Gyatso.” All of the kids said together.