Don't Touch That Dial

I walk downstairs to what looks like a different house. Dad was standing in the middle of the living room.

"Morning, dad." I say. 

"Y/N, darling. Watch this." He moved the chair so I could watch him and he sat me down. "Ladies and gentlemen, for my final trick, I bring you the Cabinet of Mysteries!" He stood there waiting for something.

"Darling, that's your cue." I laughed a little.

"Did you say, 'Cabinet of Mysteries?'" She asked.

"I said, 'The Cabinet of Mysteries!'" He said again in the same tone.

"Oh, that's my cue. Ooh!" Mom comes out with a big, fancy, black box. 

"Holy Toledo! Darling, do all the other acts in the talent show have such elaborate props?" Dad said.

"Yeah, Mom. Do we really have to go to this?" I ask

"Are you kidding? Fred and Linda are building a moat and a fully-functioning portcullis and no one even knows why." She turns to me. "We are apart of this town, Y/N. We have to fit in. Let's keep going."

"Yes, yes. Where was I? Um... Watch closely as I, Illusion, Master of Enigma, make my captivating assistant, Glamour, disappear." Mom opens the door and walks in.

"You really are very dashing." She said to him.

"Mmm, thank you, darling."

"Ew, just continue." They laugh.

"Fear not, Glamour. For I, Illusion, vow to bring you back exactly as you are."

"Ooh!" She exclaimed and he closed the door.

"Abracadabra!" He said loudly. He opens the door and she's not there.

"Ta-ta!" He says. Mom comes out from the hidden wall and claps her hands. "Yes, um, Wanda, you're not at all worried that the audience might just see through this little charade?"

"As long as Mom doesn't come out of it like that, you'll be fine."

"Well, that's the whole point. In a real magic act, everything is fake. And, no. I won't." I laughed as she kissed the top of my forehead. "Darling, the talent show fundraiser is the most important event of the season and it's our neighborly duty to participate. Plus, it's our chance to appear as normal as possible while doing so."

"Yeah, Dad. So have fun." I say. He points to his face.

"Well, I don't think that should be a problem." 

"This is our home now. I want us to fit in."

"Oh, darling, we do. We shall. And we're gonna knock their socks off, especially with you wearing this."

"Ew." They laugh

"Oh, that's actually the rest of your costume." I laugh.

"Oh!" He says. Mom checks her watch.

"Well, Y/N, we better get going if we're gonna make the planning committee meeting."

"That's me off as well, actually. There's a gathering of the neighborhood watch at the public library. And after last night's excitement, I want to make sure this town's security is up to snuff." 

"That's a swell idea. You tell those tree branches who's boss." He kisses her and kisses the top of my head.

"Would you look at us? Y/N, Wanda, and Vision, Westview fitter-inners."

"Bye, Dad." I waved

"I'll see you at curtain call." Mom called to him.

"I'm gonna go get changed." I said and run up the stairs. I open my closet and see one dress. "That's weird." I put on a yellow and brown polka dotted dress and walk downstairs and out the door to Mom talking to Agnes and was holding a bunny in a cage.