blank canvas || kai x artist!reader

"Ughghhh..."

You groan into your hands, tossing a paintbrush off to the side. It bounces off the wooden floors a little, splattering blue paint across the already dirtied floor.

You lean back on your chair, glaring at the blue smeared canvas from between your fingers.

Which is also... smeared with several other colors.

It looks like a mess. You won't deny that. It looks like hot shit and it's frustrating.

You've been trying to get over your art block for almost a week now, but nothing you do can get you that motivation, the flowing feeling of drawing something you know you want to draw.

You've tried everything; sketching things in your room, in the big city of Ninjago just outside your apartment, things from the park or the flower shop down the street. You've tried remaking old art - which, good lord, your early art is not something you like looking at, but it makes you feel so much better to see the improvement. You've even, just now, tried simply... taking paint and brushing it around, just to see what would happen. Maybe something will come to you, you had stupidly thought, and of course it hadn't.

"Oh, to hell with it," you grumble, pulling the canvas off of the easel and roughly shoving it to the ground. You point at it accusingly, as if it's the cause of all your problems. "I'll deal with you later. I'm getting something to eat."

You pat your paint-stained hands down on your pants, not caring for the mess. You didn't really like these pants anyways, but it adds a bit of character, you decide.

Your house is full of.. art. You pass by a few pieces you were particularly proud of, hung up in your hall at your friends' insistence.

You had.. a strange group of friends, you had to say. A group of six, color coding themselves, always disappearing around the times the city gets attacked and reappearing a little after it's died down.

They were strange, yes, but... you glance at a very poorly painted clay vase on your coffee table as you head to the kitchen. It's lumpy in places - Kai and Cole and argued over who got to mold it, and ended up doing it together with... minimal issues - and the paint is god awful and hurts your eyes a bit - the others had painted it together with very clashing ideas - but the stupid vase still brings a smile to your face when you see it.

The others wondered why you kept it. Anytime they ask, you just shrug, and sometimes change out the water for flowers you place in it.

"I just like it," you said to them once, and as you pass by it now, brushing your hand against the shitty clay, you smile.

Your friends are a little weird, and have off schedules and like to keep secrets from you sometimes, but that's okay. You love them all anyway.

One maybe a little more than what is purely platonic, but he doesn't have to know that. You could only guess how Kai would react..

Hm.

Kai.

You pause in your kitchen, in the middle of getting a mug out of a cabinet for something to drink.

He's been wanting to hang out sometime, but you've been too busy for socialization.

You wince a bit, pulling the mug out and closing the cabinet, as you realize it was less you being busy and more you pushing the others away to try and solve your own art block. That wasn't fair to them, you know, and you could only imagine how they were taking your sudden ghosting. You'd have to apologize later, you note to yourself.

Getting a quick snack of some chips and filling your mug with your favorite drink, you hurry over to the table to enjoy your impromptu dinner, scrolling through your phone.