12

YUKI

YUKI

Sweet, yet bitter, that's how the freshly brewed tea smelt like, it's fascinating scent spreading through the entire room as the two little girls were sipping from their floral painted cups.

"That's a very good posture Yuki" the teacher complimented the older one

Proud of how she got praised, the dark haired girl smirked towards her younger sister who seemed to smile like an idiot at the tea cup.

"It's so delicious" she said as she proceeded to slurp the hot liquid

"Y/N!" the woman scolded her, but in vain

A sigh escaped past her lips as she looked at the (h/c) haired girl, too happy that she got to brew her tea to care about how many things she was not doing right.

"Your smile is worth more than any etiquette, I can't even bring myself to scold you properly" she laughed

She kept smiling, while her sister was fuming with anger. How could everyone give a pass to this girl who was not able to do one single thing the right and proper way?

"Yuki, Y/N" the sweet voice of their old woman suddenly brought both of their attention "Come here children"

"Nana!" they both called for their grandmother as they ran to embrace her

The teacher made her way out slowly as she knew it was time for her to go, letting the grandmother have her time with the girls.

Nana was a kind soul, with doll like eyes, but a warm smile. She loved to teach the little girls as many things as she knew, every time she passed by the hallway of their room, she couldn't help but wonder about their bright future.

"How was class today?" she asked as she looked at their pretty yukata's "You're both dressed so nicely"

"I did so well Nana! I got praised a lot"

"Good job Yuki, you sure are a proper lady now" she smiled "Y/N did you do well?"

"I had fun!" she smiled brightly

Always she was hearing from the little one how she had fun, but never of any achievements. She couldn't deny that she was feeling hostile towards her from this perspective, but she knew there was still time to learn. After all, she was only 8, while Yuki was already 11.

"That's good too my dear. I am craving oranges, don't you?" she grabbed both of their small hands into her wrinkly ones as she walked to the garden

The L/N household was big enough for everyone to live in, from the servants to the family and their 4 children. But there was one particular part of the house that the little ones loved most. The garden that leaded to the orange tree. It was Nana's favourite, as its oranges were the sweetest of them all.

"Let Nana peal some for you" the woman said as she seated herself on the small bench under the tree, peeling the oranges for the two sisters

The juicy texture of the soft orange slice was filling their mouth with a pleasant taste, making them crave more and more of it.

"Y/N you really seem to enjoy oranges"

"Yes Nana! I always come here to eat them even without you. That's how much I love them"

"Oh, please remember to leave some for your old Nana, alright?" she said with a warm smile

As bright as the child was and as loved by her family, just as much she was hated by her bigger sister. It felt unreal if you had to think about it. There was no real reason to hate on her since the one who always got praised the most and rewarded the most was Yuki, no Y/N. Yet, she wished the little girl was never born.

"I saw her with my own eyes! I swear she was flirting with those boys!" she whined as she stomped her little feet onto the ground

"Yuki, she's only 8. What does she even know about these things?" Nana asked the girl

"She was kissing them! Holding hands with those older boys! She's not behaving right Nana!"

The old woman was naive enough to listen to the lies of the the jealous girl. She dragged her by the arm to the orange tree, pushing her to the ground.

"You naughty child!" she shouted, making the corner of her eyes fill with salty tears

She couldn't understand what she did wrong, she couldn't get why Nana was hitting her, hit after hit, until the back of her skin went numb. The salty taste of her tears was all she could remember as her eyes closed in pain and tiredness.

"Wonderful Y/N! You're like a whole new person" the teacher praised the 10 year old under the evil eyes of her older sister

Not wanting to disappoint her Nana again, Y/N took her classes more serious, improving and becoming maybe just as good as Yuki was at her age. She wishes to never experience the pain she felt that day under the orange tree, but someone had another idea of how things should go.

"Y/N, come here for a moment" Yuki called for her sister

As soon as she followed Yuki to the back garden, she saw the flames taking over the tree and its fruits, destroying everything in their way.

"Yuki! Stop it! What have you done? Stop it!" she screamed as she was clinging onto her sisters sleeve

But all Yuki ever did was to watch as the desperation took over her young sister, enjoying how tormented she was by her selfish actions. And maybe it was symbolic or maybe just a childish prank, but from the moment the tree burned to the ground so did both of them, watching as one another was destroying the future of their family.

_________
this is another memories chapter so you can understand a bit how the relationship between yuki and y/n is like