The Internship

Aunt may was having a good day. Peter was sitting on the couch, texting Ned, when May walked out of her room and stopped in front of him.

"Come on," she said, a grin on her face, "we're taking you shopping. You need some new clothes."

Peter couldn't remember the last day she'd been like this. It had certainly been a long time since he'd seen her so happy. A minute later they were out the door, May chatting amiably all the while.

They wandered through several department stores, with May holding up different articles of clothing to his body and shaking or nodding her head. She had bought him two T-shirts and a pair of jeans, which he was grateful for since his own were worn and torn with use.

She fluffed up his hair and smiled at him, asking if he was hungry. Peter couldn't believe he had thought so badly of May before, feeling compunctious. He smiled back meekly, and said she could pick.

May and Peter sat on a bench in Central Park in the shade, a box of pizza lying next to them.

"So. Tell me, what's new? How's school doing?" May asked.

"I, uh... it's going good, y'know? Pretty easy to do everything, but my friends are awesome..."

May gasped. "That's right! Your friends, Ned and... and Mary?"

"MJ. Yeah. And recently I was at a decathlon competition-"

"The one run by Tony Stark?"

"Uh- yes," Peter's eyes flickered across her face nervously, hoping that the mention of the competition wouldn't cause this happy May to disappear.

May frowned at him reprovingly. "You know I didn't want you going to that. People like Stark... you don't want to get tangled up in all that superhero business."

Peter bowed his head. He took a deep breath and drew into his courage. He lifted his head and looked May in the eye. "But the heroes aren't bad! What do you have against them? They're just trying to help us: they're trying to keep us safe!"

"They're reckless and do more harm than good." May spoke sharply, frost creeping into her words.

Peter didn't want to upset May and thought of dropping the topic and talking drivel, but then he remembered the conversation he'd had with Mr. Stark the previous day. He needed to at least try to change May's mind about the internship.

He thought of what to say to get May to listen to him before making a decision, but she spoke again before he could.

"Look at Spider man," she said, gesturing outwards as if he were in front of them. "He is an uncontrolled vigilante running loose in our neighborhood."

Peter shifted uncomfortably and looked out into the trees. "Spider man is helping us. He's doing good, trying to stop criminals and protect us."

"And we're supposed to put our trust in someone we don't know? Someone who doesn't even show us his face? We know nothing about this person other than the fact that he has inhuman powers. He could be helping us one day and murdering us in cold blood the next."

"But he wouldn't do that!" Peter exclaimed.

"How do you know, Peter? The truth is, you don't. No one does. We can't trust these people just because they say we can. The best thing to do is to stay away from them. You understand me?" She looked at him with hardened eyes, her hand clenching his shoulder. Peter stared at her and nodded.

"Good." Her hand relaxed on his shoulder and moved up and down his arm in a soothing manner. "You know I only want you to be safe, right Pete?"

Peter nodded again and looked down again. She was worried about him. She wanted him to be safe. She was only trying to protect him.

Peter and May walked around the park for a while afterwards. They moved on from that topic and talked about Ned and MJ, of school and how he was doing. It felt nice to be there with his aunt, his senses silent. He could almost forget about the internship Stark had nagged him about. But it still lay in the back of his mind, always present.

When they got back to the apartment, Peter put away his new clothes and started on dinner. May helped him cook and they worked in silence, side by side.

As they ate, Peter knew he should take advantage of the good mood and ask her. He wanted to think she would stay that way, smiling and laughing with him, but he knew by now it was evanescent.

"May..." he began, setting down his fork.

"What is it?"

"You know how we were talking about the Avengers and Mr. Stark earlier?"

May studied him silently for a second before answering. "Yes I do Peter, what's this about?"

"Well I honestly think Mr. Stark is really nice and great - and," he spoke faster, "he only really has super powers when he's inside the suit, so outside of it he's harmless, and he-"

"Is this about the internship again?" May interrupted him.

Peter stopped and nodded.

"Peter. You know why I don't want you to do it! I don't trust Stark. And I don't trust his business either."

"But May," Peter protested, "I would be working with other people and it's not like..." he paused for a second. He knew May wouldn't let him intern with Tony Stark alone like Stark had offered, but if Peter could twist the truth a little to make it easier for her, wasn't that better? "It's not like I'd ever SEE Mr. Stark anyway. The interns work on an entirely separate floor. I'd just be doing paperwork and stuff. And I'd be getting paid!"

May looked down, as if she was considering what he'd said. "I don't like it. The other interns must be what, 25 youngest? And for you to work with them... its for the best, Peter. Tell Stark to find someone else."

Peter sighed. He knew from her tone that it was over. Done with. She wouldn't change her mind. He picked up his fork and started eating again, though he had lost his appetite. He dreaded having to tell Mr. Stark the news.

Tony's pov:

Tony was in his lab working on a new project when FRIDAY informed him of a text from Peter. He quickly pulled out his phone and checked what it said.

Peter:

Hey Mr. Stark.

Tony Stark 2:

Hey kid! What's up?

Peter:

About the internship...

Tony Stark 2:

What is it?
Kid, type faster!
Those three dots are agony!!!

Peter:

May said I could do it.

Another cliffhanger haha
Sorry! (Not really they're fun)
I can't think of a quote :(