Chapter Twenty Five-Charlotte

Comincia dall'inizio

"I don't care anymore, Marco. I don't care who it is. All I want is for him to come home." I fought back my tears.

"Me too." He gave me a soft smile. "So let's stick to the plan. Set your sights on how you're going to get Whitaker to trust you. I'll work on trying to put this tape together and see if I can find anything."

I was reluctant to agree with Marco. I was so damn frustrated, and the very last thing I wanted to do was to pretend to seduce Whitaker. It was convenient how Marco never used those words, even though it was exactly what he was asking me to do.

"I know you're mad." He squeezed my shoulder. "But we all have our jobs to do right now and..."

I burst out laughing. "All have our jobs? Tell me, have you ever asked one of your men to try to fuck a girl to get information?"

"You have every right to be upset. But you know that's not what I'm asking. And you know if you told me you weren't comfortable with it, I'd pull the entire plan. You told me this was a go. I didn't force you to do anything."

I sucked in a sharp breath.

"Look, I can do this with or without you, but it's going to be a hell of a lot easier with. If you're going to help me, you need to get it together. You put all that anger and all that hurt into the back of your mind and you play your part. If you're out, then tell me now so I can figure something else out but don't stand there and act like I'm whoring you out."

"I'm sorry. That wasn't fair of me to say. I can do it. I'm just...."

"I know." Marco smiled sympathetically. "I feel the same way. And believe me, you and I will get our revenge on both of those bastards once they get home, but we have to handle our business first."

I smiled. "Thanks for putting up with me."

"Thanks for always being on my team." Marco gave me a tight hug.

The next day, I headed into the office to try to make some kind of contact with Whitaker. Technically, as the DA, he was my boss, but I rarely saw him and aside from our interactions through all of this, I didn't really know him. I heard through the grapevine that he was in court today, so I probably wasn't even going to get to see him today.

I got into my office and was quickly consumed by the amount of emails and voicemails I had. I hadn't been in since Luca had been arrested and I was seriously behind. I spent the day catching up on what I had missed, and taking care of the urgent things. I was so focused on what I was doing that by the time I looked up, it was dark outside. I still had a mountain of work, but I was exhausted and needed to get home.

I was gathering my things when there was a knock at the door.

"Charlotte?"

"Mr. Whitaker." My eyes widened as I saw him standing in my doorway. I was completely caught off guard.

He came in and shut the door behind him. "I heard you were in the office today. I just wanted to stop in and apologize."

"Apologize?" I arched my eyebrow at him. This conversation was certainly starting out differently than I had expected.

"Just for the way things have unfolded. I value you as an employee here and I don't want what's happening with Luca to interfere with that."

I pressed my lips firmly together. "Well, that's very kind of you."

"You're a strong woman, Charlotte, and you don't deserve what he's put you through. If there's anything you need..."

His tone was suggestive. Just like Hunter had said, I knew he had been listening, and he knew that I had filed for divorce. Somehow, our plan was working even better than we expected. He was sitting in my office pretty much opening the door for me to make my move. He was disgusting.

"I appreciate that. I guess it's taken me a long time to realize that. I actually filed for a divorce the other day." I sat back down, plastering a fake smile on my face.

"I'm so sorry." He reached across the table and squeezed my hand. I fought every urge in my body to yank it away. "I know how difficult a decision like that is. One day it will all be worth it, though. Your future is so much brighter than Luca. I see big things for you here."

"Really?" I pursed my lips. "Like what?"

"Why don't you meet me for a drink tomorrow evening and we can talk more about it?" He smirked smugly.

"I don't know." I darted my eyes away, playing coy.

"It's just a drink, Charlotte. No pressure." He stood up."I'll send you an address. Hopefully, I see you tomorrow."

I wanted to scream the second he shut the door. There was no turning back now.