Chapter Two

"Thanks for all your help guys," Dad told Torrance and Ambrose two hours later. "It would have taken Avery and me twice as long to get everything out of the truck."

The men had gotten everything out of the truck and arranged in the house to Dad's specifications while Avery pouted over her father's words, sunbathing in the dead grass out front.

Joseph and Torrance had beers in their hands, sweating profusely. Ambrose had a soda and was leaning against the peeling, tan wall of the living room. Or Avery thought it was the living room. Her dad put the couch and his recliner in the room. The T.V. wasn't set up yet since her father and Torrance weren't tech people, but Ambrose said he had a "friend" that was a tech whiz.

Avery couldn't imagine the guy having any friends with his sour disposition.

Torrance looked over at his son. "'Brose, why don't you take Avery down to the community pool to meet all of your friends? Let her get to know people around here. And didn't you say they'd be at the pool for most of the day?"

Ambrose looked sullen at the idea. "Actually, I think they already left."

"How do you know? I haven't seen you check your phone all morning."

"That's okay," Avery spoke up from across the room. "I don't swim."
"You don't?" Torrance squinted. He looked over at her father. "You said she loved to swim, Joseph?"

"I remember her in swimming classes," her father said, equally perplexed.

"I was three. Most three-year-olds go to swimming classes. Besides, I stopped going when I turned seven, don't you remember?"

Dad didn't reply.

"You don't have to swim," Torrance continued. "You can just hang out and meet people who'll be going to Freedom in the fall, well, more than just Ambrose."

Ambrose took a long swing of his soda.

Avery didn't want to go to the pool, she didn't want to meet people who were going to her new high school. She wanted her old life back.

"She seems like she meets friends easily," Ambrose replied after a while of staring at his soda can. "She doesn't need my help."

No, she didn't.

"You don't have a choice in the matter. Now on your way." Torrance shoed Ambrose up and motioned Avery to follow Ambrose to the door.

Hell no. She wasn't going. Did this guy understand her? Guess not.

"I said I didn't want to go."

"Go make some friends, Avery. It might make you feel better," her father said. "You never know until you try."

She knew she'd never make friends here. Everyone was...different. Scarier than the people back home. No, she wouldn't leave this house unless for a very good reason, like when her mother came back. Her father was wrong about her.

Ambrose looked over at her, bored. "I'm leaving now. If you come fine, if you don't, fine. It doesn't matter to me."

Why was he so indifferent? It irritated Avery for some reason. Avery crossed her arms over her chest. "I'll come."

"Okay." Ambrose walked out.

Wait, what? Avery ran after him, her flip-flops slapping the ground. "Wait up!" He had such long legs. Avery was only five feet three inches.

Avery finally caught up to Ambrose, down the block. "You could have slowed down, you know."

"I know."