Book 1: Chapter 16

Start from the beginning

Adam approached him. "Where's Archibald Denning?" he asked, sounding not quite as formidable as Guard Two.

Night's neck cracked as he twisted unnaturally to look up at his captors. "Eightieth floor," he admitted with a smirk. "Penthouse suite number one."

"You four," Two said, pointing to a small group of her soldiers, "stay here with him. Everyone else, follow me."

They turned and stormed back across the lot, and strode through the large side entrance to the lobby. Confused workers and patrons saw the group enter and watched them with surprise. The battalion moved swiftly as they filed into the reception area. Two men approached the counter and spoke quietly to the concierge, who nodded and handed them a keycard a moment later. They joined the remainder by the lift.

"Two groups," the leader instructed. "Half with me; half will ascend in the next lift. My group will enter the suite immediately. The second group will provide cover if needed." All members of the Guard stood poised, not needing to acknowledge the command verbally.

The silver doors opened and the first group narrowly managed to squeeze inside. A soldier waved the keycard in front of the glowing panel and pressed the button for the fortieth floor, the highest floor available in the lift.

Adam's heart began to pound even harder as they ascended. It had been some time since he'd been involved in any form of combat. He took a deep breath to calm his nerves and shifted his focus to finding their missing new leader. The lift rose silently, stopping at the fortieth floor seconds later.

The infantry climbed out and crossed the hall to the lift opposite. The sensor above registered the group's presence, and the doors opened as soon as the lift was ready. They stepped inside and waved the keycard again, this time pressing the button for the eightieth floor. None of them uttered a word. The Guard were trained to remain composed and suppress emotions, letting logic dictate instead.

The lift opened, and the group filed outwards onto the eightieth floor. In front of them was a large set of double doors with the numbers '8001' inscribed in a golden plaque above.

"The door is open," Adam whispered, beginning to expect the worst.

Two led the way, holding her weapon high. She cautiously entered the suite with her fellow soldiers. They filed into the large room and immediately took in their surroundings. They stopped when they saw a lone man sitting in front of them.

"Where's the president?" Two demanded, aiming her weapon with precision. The others did the same.

Nikolai sat comfortably in his chair, with one leg resting on the other. His hands were clasped against one another, and a broad smile was spread across his face. Karen's jaw dropped when she realised that the man had no eyes.

"Now this is what I love to see," he said. "Who is the commanding officer here?"

Two fired a dart straight at Nikolai, who tilted his head to the side before it even left her rifle. Adam let out a quiet gasp as he watched the eyeless man move as fast as lightning. The dart flew into the thick glass window behind him and fell to the floor.

"Tell us where the president is or you'll be charged with acts of aggression against the Union," Two's voice boomed.

"Allow me to ask again," Nikolai said, ignoring her. His pleasant mood was not diminished by the projectile being fired at him. "Who is in charge here?"

"I am," Adam admitted warily, stepping forward. "Where's the president?"

"It's alright," Archibald responded, emerging from one of the many rooms in the suite. Several guards ran over to him and inspected his well-being.