Book 1: Chapter 2

The Second Day

Skye stared across the promenade, carefully watching Nikolai sitting casually outside the cafe. It was another busy day in Shangwu, the citizens going about their daily business. Most of them, men and women both, wore black suits made of the finest materials. They walked with haste and spoke loudly into their headsets.

It was a standard sight for the business district of the city-state, but it fascinated Skye to no end, despite living here for so long now, to see such drab colours amid the beauty and vibrancy of the remainder of the island. It confounded him to think that they sauntered down the busy promenade completely oblivious to one of the world's most dangerous men sitting among them.

Skye's green shirt and faded jeans contrasted to the shaven faces and tailored suits surrounding him, but the Athenians took no notice—they were far too invested in discussing how to trade their stocks and currencies at optimal prices. Skye stood still, listening to the different languages around him. He had lived in Athenia for four years now, having spent most of his life in his native Xiaguo.

The signs of trouble for the young nation were obvious: graffiti on the walls and pools of dried blood in the streets. Pieces of its violent history that hadn't yet been erased from the country's records. The citizens either chose to ignore it, as they had been taught to, or they were blindly unaware of it. Harmony was a deeply instilled cultural trait for the country, but Skye knew that even the grandest of virtues sometimes stood no chance against emotional corruption.

Skye glared at Nikolai. Aged in his early forties, Nikolai sat peacefully, yet powerfully, his posture perfect, his gaze lost in the large newspaper in his hands. Skye wondered if perhaps Nikolai had not yet sensed his presence. It could be the perfect opportunity to kill him and finally put a stop to the chaos before more innocent lives were lost. A public execution was not ideal, and against all he stood for, but there were few, if any, chances for him to slay his adversary. His list of enemies seemed to be growing, but Nikolai and the newly elected president were both at the top of it.

Outside the cafe, Nikolai slowly turned his head to see Skye standing on the opposite side the street. He smiled broadly and held his hand up, politely beckoning Skye to come and join him.

Skye let go of his sword's hilt and sighed deeply to himself. He felt foolish that, for a moment, he thought he stood a chance at killing him.

Almost involuntarily, he crossed the street, keeping his gaze fixed on Nikolai's warming smile. He took one step after the other, dodging the sea of corporate personnel, not in any hurry to engage in yet another pointless conversation. He arrived at the table shaded under the large parasol.

Nikolai stood up gentlemanly and opened his arms wide, offering his former friend a hug. Skye sat down quickly, not interested in sharing any affection with the man. Almost an entire head taller than Skye, Nikolai had a large, muscular chest, with his dark hair slicked back neatly. Nikolai would be a formidable opponent even without the unrivalled skills he possessed.

The towering man sat back down, still smiling fondly, his face hidden behind large sunglasses. "It's wonderful to see you again."

Skye rolled his eyes. "It's been a week. Are you going to tell me what we're debating this time?"

"Is this not one of the most incredible things you've ever seen?" Nikolai gestured to their surroundings. "I refer not to the country's natural beauty, which has been all but destroyed by the ever-modernising society and towering infrastructure, but rather to the fact that its citizens go about their daily business, with absolutely no regard for their true yearning." Their regular meetings usually began with a philosophical rant from Nikolai, and the topic of corporate slavery was almost always on the agenda.