Book 1: Chapter 16

Three oversized black vans pulled to the side of the busy road outside the luxurious West Tower, a renowned landmark in the city-state. None of the civilians took any notice of the vehicles until they saw countless armoured men and women climb out, each holding a large automatic weapon. The Athenian emblem was clearly evident on the back of their chest armour and helmets, rousing the curiosity of the passersby.

The battalion walked swiftly in formation into the parking area on the ground level of the tower. They immediately broke into three different units and fanned out, each one searching for the president's limousine. At the rear of the middle unit were Adam and Karen, both of them fully armoured and each holding one of the large guns.

"Hold true," Guard Two ordered quietly, the sound of her voice emitting through a small speaker in each helmet. The Guard followed their leader with haste. With Guard One spending most of his time in the security command centre overseeing the president's safety, Two was the leader during most field operations.

Adam turned around to see that a small crowd of curious spectators was beginning to form at the entrance, eager to catch a glimpse of what has happening in their city. A couple of the Guard held their positions at the entrance, informing the public that they need to remove themselves from the area immediately.

The soldiers silently stormed through the cavernous facility, passing dozens of parked cars. Adam's heart started to pound as he began to brace himself for what they may find. He hadn't served Archibald for long, but the counsel was loyal to both his country and his leader. If anything was to happen to the president, Adam himself may be subject to prosecution for failing at his duties.

"I've discovered the limousine," Guard Two said seconds later, spotting a conspicuous black vehicle toward the end of the lot. "And a bogey, unarmed," she whispered, informing the rest of her group that a potential threat had been sighted. Adam looked straight ahead to see a man wearing a tuxedo standing beside the limousine. He casually leaned on his cane to one side.

The unit converged on the man in the blink of an eye. He wasn't wearing the mandatory government pass around his neck, indicating that he wasn't a member of staff.

"Good afternoon," Night said in a polite manner to the unexpected guests.

Guard Two fired a dart at him, hitting Night in the chest at point-blank range. He didn't flinch as the tiny piece of metal pierced his flesh.

"I mean you no harm," he said with a sadistic grin on his face. He sported the unhealed wound from Skye's sword on his cheek.

The armed woman stepped closer and rammed the butt of her submachine gun into his knee with a sickening crack, causing him to fall to the ground in a heap. His top hat rolled away from his head. The remaining two units of the Guard caught up and surrounded the black vehicle.

"It's empty," one of them observed.

"Two," another guard said to his leader, "the dart is having no effect on him."

"Acknowledged." She turned her attention to the odd man lying on the floor. "Where is the president?" she asked in a low, but serious tone.

"I'm uncertain," Night lied, his voice muffled by the ground.

One of the guards let out a soft groan as the smell of rotting flesh hit his nose. He did his best to compose himself and maintain his uncompromising demeanour.

"Tell us where he is," Two ordered, "or you'll be arrested and tried for acts of aggression against the Union."

Night let out a quiet, manic giggle. "I can't be tried for anything."