50 || fresh start

Start from the beginning

Present

        Amelia watched from the doorway as James paced back and forth in his bedroom, his hand rubbing his chin anxiously as he glanced around, seemingly unsure of what to do. His messy, dark hair was pulled back into his usual low-bun, a few strands escaping and hanging around his scruffy cheeks. She had to stifle a giggle as he struggled to decide where to go from here. 

        To say that she was happy for James would be the understatement of the century. Amelia's work here was complete, she had accomplished what she had set out to do. All of the obstacles they jumped over to get to this point felt worth it now as she watched him attempt to pack his things. 

         James Buchanan Barnes was a free man. 

        "I don't even know where to start," he muttered lightly. 

        "You can start by making sure all of your things are packed," Amelia suggested, walking up behind him and wrapping her arms around his torso, pressing her cheek against his back. 

        James stopped pacing, his fingers caressing the skin of her forearms as he shrugged rather nervously. "But what about after that? I don't know how to live like a normal person. Where do I even go from here?"

        "With me," Amelia whispered hesitantly. "You can come home with me."  

        The realization kicked in that he could actually have the life he craved with Amelia. He didn't have to just solely picture it anymore, this was an opportunity to actually have it. Gently pushing her arms from their grapple around his body, James spun around to gaze down at her round, hazel eyes that were staring expectantly up at him. Her raven-colored hair fell in waves around her shoulders, down her burgundy-colored sweater that was tucked into her plaid skirt. 

        "You want me to live with you?"

        A smile appeared on her face, her cheeks dimpling as it did so. "We have been living together here for two months. To be honest, I'm not quite ready to live by myself again." 

        James reached up to rub his thumb across her dimple, reveling in the way her head leaned into his touch subconsciously. It was crazy to him that he used to want to be alone all of the time, never wanting to be bothered by anyone - but now, he couldn't imagine not having Amelia around. 

        "I don't think there is anywhere else I'd rather be than with you, Amelia," he murmured softly, his lips curving into a smile to match her own. 

        "You've come a long way, Barnes," she commented gingerly, lifting up onto her toes to peck her full lips against his. "I'm proud of you, you know." 

        James' brow knitted together immediately at her words. He couldn't remember the last time someone had told him that they were proud of him, or if they ever did at all. The feeling that surged inside of him was a strange, foreign one - but it was one he wouldn't mind feeling again. 

        "I didn't think I would ever hear anyone say that," he whispered, glancing down at the floor beneath their feet as his eyebrows furrowed deeper. 

        Amelia took his hands in hers as she lowered her head to meet his blue eyes. "You've worked so hard for yourself, you should be proud of you, too." 

        James felt like the luckiest man alive when it came to Amelia. He couldn't quite put into words how appreciative he was or how thankful he felt to have someone like her in his chaotic, messy life. Most days he wondered how he managed to deserve the attention of someone of her beauty and poise, but he was grateful, anyways. 

        "I think all of this can wait for another day," James said as a matter-of-factly, motioning towards the belongings sprawled across his bed and floor, before swooping Amelia's petite body in his arms and lifting her from the ground. "Let me take you on a date finally, yeah?" 

        The butterflies in Amelia's stomach soared into her chest as her cheeks began to ache from grinning so hard. Wrapping her arms around James' neck, she scrunched her nose playfully down at him. "I would love to go on a date with you." 

        Plopping her back down on the ground, he extended his hand for her to grab onto. "Let's go then, babe." 

        "Babe?" 

        James nodded as Amelia timorously slid her hand into his grasp, before pulling her out into the hallway as they made their way to the elevator. "This technically makes you my girlfriend, right? Or do I ask? Or is that not how you do it? It's been a long time since I've done this whole-"

        "Yes." 

        "Yes?" he repeated anxiously, peeking over at her as they waited for the elevator doors to glide open. 

        "Yes, I'll be your girlfriend." 

        As the words left Amelia's beautiful mouth, it felt as though a missing piece of James' life had fallen into place. Clicking into the empty space perfectly. 

        Amelia Rose was his missing piece. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FREAKING OUT

only the epilogue left - which if you don't know, will be like another chapter but a closing to this story

is anyone else crying?