Chapter Six

We're all in miserable moods at breakfast. The Gomlen tastes even more bitter than usual in my mouth, just as runny as the tears staining my face. Everyone else is sniffling and crying, too.

  The first of us has been sacrificed.

  Commander Alvaria is watching us with a delighted expression. I want to throttle her, but she's way bigger than me. And the memory of her choking me in my dream resurfaces, scaring off all rebellious thoughts.

  She was right, I think gloomily. I couldn't save Pandora. I can't save anyone.

  "All right," Commander Alvaria calls, clapping. "I'll be merciful today. I'll allow you all to wail about how much you miss your pathetic old human friend."

  "She's not dead yet, you evil bat!" 

  A voice echoes around the cafeteria, triggering a wave of shocked silence. The voice has to belong to a human, but what human would say something so stupid?

  I realize with a groan and a gasp of horror which human it came from. I want to throw my arms around her, protect her from  the consequences she's just guaranteed herself.

  Onyx steps forward, her face murderous. Commander Alvaria is glaring back at her just as furiously, starting towards the little girl. Mom makes as if to lunge towards her, but Iva holds her back, looking worried.

  I wince, wanting to lash out as Commander Alvaria grabs Onyx's chin. It takes all of my self-restraint to remain still, afraid that anything I do might result in worse punishment for Onyx.

  "What did you say, midget?" the commander snaps, painfully yanking Onyx's head closer to her.

  "I said that Pandora's not dead yet. Get that in your mind, stupid." She gives Commander Alvaria a sly smile and waves her hand in front of her face, wrinkling her nose. "And also, when was the last time you took a shower? You stink."

  I don't know if I should be proud or horrified at my sister. On one hand, she spoke up and made Commander Alvaria flush. And on the other hand... she just basically guaranteed herself the next spot in the Maze.

  I can see Heath gritting his teeth over at the men's table. He seems just as worried about Onyx as I am.

 "You insolent girl," Commander Alvaria snarls, whipping her hand back, ready to slap the little girl across the face.

  I can't restrain myself any longer. "Stop! Commander, please, she's just a kid!"

  I'm surprised to realize the shout came from someone else other than myself. There's Heath, standing up and nodding at me in support.

  "Do you think that I care?" Commander Alvaria hisses at us. She turns back to Onyx, smiling cruelly. "I'm going to enjoy this."

  My mind is racing with frantic plans. Is it actually possible I can dive in front of Onyx before Commander Alvaria hurts her?

  Before I can consider that plan, the noise of the slap comes. I flinch, then cast my focus to Onyx.

  She's sprawled on the ground, tears of pain in her eyes. A trickle of blood is coming from her mouth, and there's an angry hand-shaped blotch on her cheek.

  "Onyx!" Mom cries, fighting to get out of Iva's grasp. 

  I rush towards my sister, kneeling down beside her instinctively. "Are you okay?"

  Onyx winces, but nods slowly. "Never better." She looks up at Commander Alvaria... triumphantly? Why triumphantly, didn't she just get slapped?

 The commander pushes me away before I can do anything and picks up Onyx by the collar. She whispers something in her ear that makes my sister pale, and I spot a the tears thicken in her eyes.

  Finally, Commander Alvaria sets her down with an evil grin, and both Mom and I run towards her, fussing over her and scolding her. Relief washes over me, and I hug her around the shoulders as tight as I can.

  "Onyx, sweetie, are you alright?" Mom asks, gently taking her by the chin. 

  I suddenly notice just how white and afraid she looks. She shakes her head, tears streaming down her cheeks.

  "Is it what Commander Alvaria said to you?" I ask her softly, glaring at the supernatural. 

  Onyx nods frantically.

  "Can you tell me?" Mom whispers, and I kneel down, needing to know what's wrong with her.

  Onyx slowly swallows and squeezes her eyes shut. 

  "She said...she said... 'Enjoy your last days alive.'"